• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down the Bernard touchdown run

Jeremy Igo

. Truthfully I don't know how much Mike Mitchell was asking from the Panthers. Pittsburg offered him a decent contract and he took it. But I don't think it's always a bright idea to let half of the team go every season and try to fill in roster spots with dollar general players.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I agree

Ugly. And I love the blatant cross-face hold on Horton, though tough to say how often that call isn't made against anyone. Might've had a shot without it though.

I know holds aren't called all the time, but that's one that should be called every time. When a defender is basically hugging around the head and neck area from behind, a no-call simply can't be justified.

I never understood why people were shitting on Mitchell so bad

Actually I do, every time a panther player leaves he gets shitted on

He had a flat out solid season. I kept hearing how the front 7 makes the back look so much better than they are. Mike > our safeties now and was a solid run defender. He also has what we are SEVERELY lacking and that's speed. Captain also had speed, bad coverage corner because of his size but he could tackle and close in well.

I'm not sure what Tre can do, but I'm definitely curious to find out. I thought I saw him in uniform, must have been my eyes deceiving me. Far as the D goes, everybody has been inconsistent probably except Short

I will be very surprised if we don't take a Safety with one of our top two picks this year. OL has to be a priority, but we need a good young Safety as well.

We've targeted one high every year Ron has been here. Nobody has been there for us when the pick rolled around.

So we've gone from a top 2 run defense last season to a bottom 2 this season - lets look at whats changed: The coaches? No they're the same. The Line? Well yeh we've lost one of our best lineman and two of our interior are a year older and we haven't got as much talent to rotate. The Secondary? Yeh we've two starters injured and we've lost a whole load of speed and have a brand new unit back there. 

Look at it logically and you'll see the coaches are doing a decent job calling with what they have - instead of calling out one play and expecting an impenetrable unit after so much roster instability. 

well said..  you know it is football, sh*t happens.  The negativity on this forum is one reason I hardly ever go to the gameday thread.  I saw a game yesterday that got me pinned on the edge of my seat.  There were good and bad plays ...  an "almost" game winning TD that would have made everybody on this board excited, a few rockets from Cam that were caught by a very promising rookie, and many good defensive plays as well.  I still LOVE my Panthers no matter what all the negative posters may have to say...  

. Truthfully I don't know how much Mike Mitchell was asking from the Panthers. Pittsburg offered him a decent contract and he took it. But I don't think it's always a bright idea to let half of the team go every season and try to fill in roster spots with dollar general players.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

You made a great post about Hardy being out.  The run defense has fell off and we are struggling to compensate.  It affects the whole team.  On the flip side, people have to quit with the Gettleman stuff.  You see how bad we are without Hardy.  So he paid Hardy and what was he supposed to do with the rest of that money.  If we would have paid Cap, Mitchell, and Ginn what they got from other teams we would have not been able to sign any one else.  Be serious about it and use knowledge that you should know about salary cap issues. 

Biggest difference is TD and Luke made the plays last year....

On most of the big runs this year they simply are overplaying or playing the gaps wrong.

I agree Mitchell likely cleans it up....but it still would have been another gashing run

On most plays yes. I can distinctly remember Mitchell cleaning up about 2 plays that got by our linebackers last year. Plays weren't for 80 yards so they kind of get muddled up in the plays that are forgotten. I guess what I am saying is I miss Mitchell.

On the bright side we should have your boy Stewart back this week CRA. Reaves inability to break a tackle really bothered me yesterday.

Archived