• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney scouting dt

dpanthersman

there weren't good choices for a big DT like kemo in FA or the draft. at that point it would only be depth that we were addressing there when we had to worry about depth for an old lewis and a possible replacement for peppers. finding a NT was lower on the priority list that that.

guys like kemo are hard to find. i don't fault the organization for making the decisions they did in the offseason. there were some tough calls to make and even though it is hurting us now, they were the better calls to make given the choices we had.

still...we are in a tight spot now and that is all that matters. no sense in pondering over what we should have done had we had perfect knowledge of everything that happened.

DT with good size that we could have taken in the draft

Dorell Scott

Vaughn martin

Sammie lee hill

You're right, it has been a trendy thing to be a Panthers fan since 03, especially in Charlotte. Trends=Ignorance

What??? Definitely do not understand what point you are trying to make.

All I was saying is that alot of our fans are naive about the "business" aspect of the NFL.

A large number of fans and posters on this board think that a franchise is run like Madden.

NFL players are in it for the money....don't kid yourself. There are very few players who will take less money than they possibly can get. The time you see this is when a player is later in his career and is looking for a ring. They have made their money and are willing to take less to play for a team like NE that has a great shot at another ring.

If you expect our players to not maximize their earning potential in their short-lived NFL careers, you are kidding yourselves.

Well Im new to this site but have been following it for a couple years now(lazy). The bm after ownermode means Before Madden. It's just a testement that I was a fan before and a fan still. One thing I have to say is if people would go back and remember when williams was a absolute beast he was on his way to being considered a top 5 dt. He messed up and went to clevelend and fd that up. Being a end in most 3-4s only allow you to stand pat and occupy blockers. His problem is he has such a good burst that he takes himself out the play at end and the lbs get engulfed by linemen quicker. I agree completely that if he joined here we would revive his career. The guy is 6-4 320 and fast. He is what we and panthers coaching had wanted out of Kris Jenkins every year. Go back to the green bay games then and watch him beat doubleteams consistenly. Well enough said but I guarentee it is him we were looking at. They already got 1st and second year players to develop and are looking for veteren material for cheap. This move could outdo the chris harris scenario 100 percent. Think we were 7th in the league in sacks I think with no push up the middle. Imagine what it could be with him and an infusion of youth on the line.

Well Im new to this site but have been following it for a couple years now(lazy). The bm after ownermode means Before Madden. It's just a testement that I was a fan before and a fan still. One thing I have to say is if people would go back and remember when williams was a absolute beast he was on his way to being considered a top 5 dt. He messed up and went to clevelend and fd that up. Being a end in most 3-4s only allow you to stand pat and occupy blockers. His problem is he has such a good burst that he takes himself out the play at end and the lbs get engulfed by linemen quicker. I agree completely that if he joined here we would revive his career. The guy is 6-4 320 and fast. He is what we and panthers coaching had wanted out of Kris Jenkins every year. Go back to the green bay games then and watch him beat doubleteams consistenly. Well enough said but I guarentee it is him we were looking at. They already got 1st and second year players to develop and are looking for veteren material for cheap. This move could outdo the chris harris scenario 100 percent. Think we were 7th in the league in sacks I think with no push up the middle. Imagine what it could be with him and an infusion of youth on the line.

I agree with you 100% man, I was watching a preseason game this weekend and heard a great comment on the difference between 3-4 and 4-3 for the DE/DT's. In the 3-4 you have to hold up the offensive lineman while in the 4-3 you try to penetrate through them. This is why it takes a particular type of player to play the 3-4. Corey Williams is a penetrater who disrupts the play at the point of attack causing the running back to pick a new lane or the quarterback to alter a throw. This is exactly what we need. With him and Damion Lewis we would be pretty good at starting defesive tackle. And then after the cuts are made I wouldn't be upset if they went out and signed another guy with some experience to replace Hayden (who I think they are secretly really disappointed in). The new Dline coach basically said in an interview that "some of these guys just don't have the talent to play at a high level." I hope I didn't misquote him but I think if we picked up another guy along with Williams I would be extremely happy.

Hate to bring this up again as I did in the offseason about trading Kemo. It seemed then as now that many teams were going to the 3-4and the most sought after if not important pc to that puzzle is a competant NT. It also seemed that our new system was not perfect for Kemo, thus the suggestion. I still hold the view that a lot of teams, KC and others have not found their perfect NT and might be looking in next yrs draft for the anchor they do not have presently. Rather than trading them draft picks, why not trade Kemo now. Neither will be ready till next year and at least they know they will be getting a player that can perform. We get our vet, they get their NT.

Hate to bring this up again as I did in the offseason about trading Kemo. It seemed then as now that many teams were going to the 3-4and the most sought after if not important pc to that puzzle is a competant NT. It also seemed that our new system was not perfect for Kemo, thus the suggestion. I still hold the view that a lot of teams, KC and others have not found their perfect NT and might be looking in next yrs draft for the anchor they do not have presently. Rather than trading them draft picks, why not trade Kemo now. Neither will be ready till next year and at least they know they will be getting a player that can perform. We get our vet, they get their NT.

Show me a GM stupid enough to trade for an injured player, let alone an injured 340 pounder and I'll show you someone who won't have a job.

Show me a GM stupid enough to trade for an injured player, let alone an injured 340 pounder and I'll show you someone who won't have a job.

As a GM, if you ran a new 3-4 D, and had no NT, would you rather have a 5th round pick next year, or Kemo?

Honestly If I was a gm I would still go with kemo. The main reason being that the reason he got hurt was because of running. In a 3-4 he would replace that with eating. A nose tackle coming of ankle surgery is alot easier than a 4-3 tackle that is suppose to shoot gaps and disrupt. Look around the league and watch all the nose tackles that have had any lowerleg injuries and they are still considered tops at their position and the journeymen vets still find new teams year in and year out. Wilfork, J Williams, casey hampton, grady jackson, ted washington(past) and etc. Trust me that is not an issue! It is very feasible that next year we could add another player or picks to get the other dt in a tackle heavy draft. Dorsey maybe still, or the boy from duke, or etc. The panthers are covering ground pretty good.

I could see a situation where Kemo plus a corner, maybe Wilson or even Martin, plus a forth and seventh round pick could get us Dorsey. I would be okay with that. It would seem like we were giving up a lot but not really. And by getting Kemo's contract off of the cap that would also allow us to sign another DT for backup.

The only problem is that while KC might go for trading for an injuried player, they are in a total rebuilding mode, I don't think Clevlend would be so trading for Williams would be costlier on the draft picks.

Archived