• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney scouting dt

dpanthersman

OK rayzor, I was thinking that his retirement was already public knowledge when we made the trade. Maybe we can tell teams Kemo is really fine and the whole IR thing was just a joke. He rubbed some dirt on it, he's fine... :lol:

Seriously though, I fully expect teams to TRY to screw us, it's just a matter of if Hurney offers a decent deal and says "take it or leave it" or if he caves and overpays. We'll see what happens.

I'd love to bring in Dorsey but we don't have the cap space, not even close. Would be great to trade a future 2nd rounder for him and rework his contract to give him 2nd round money (LOL) but the chance of that happening is about zero point zero percent.

Williams looks like a solid option. 4th would be the highest I'd want us to give up. Might be able to get him for a 5th or 6th even. Really wouldn't mind adding him AND Dewayne Robertson. I was hoping we'd add some depth at DT even before Kemo was hurt, so with him out for the year you can make that 2 guys.

Of course, alot depends on our cap space. Haven't seen any official numbers released recently but estimates I've seen have been 2 - 2.5 million.

I was hoping for the samething too before Kemo was hurt. I would jizz my pants if we got both Williams and Robertson.

OK rayzor, I was thinking that his retirement was already public knowledge when we made the trade. Maybe we can tell teams Kemo is really fine and the whole IR thing was just a joke. He rubbed some dirt on it, he's fine... :lol:

Seriously though, I fully expect teams to TRY to screw us, it's just a matter of if Hurney offers a decent deal and says "take it or leave it" or if he caves and overpays. We'll see what happens.

:lol:

i think you are right about teams trying to screw us over and i expect we would try the same with them.

teams in a desperate position are more willing to pay high prices.

the right price is always what someone is willing to pay.

It still pisses me off when I think about the draft. We needed DT help then and we REALLY need it now. Unfortunately with Kemo hurt, the price that we (and the organization) thought was too steep before the draft is much steeper now. I wondered why the heck we didn't pounce on Rocky Bernard when he was a free agent. I know the whole Peppers saga factored into it, but we could have done some restructuring to get him in the fold.

My point is in the offseason I, as well as many Panthers' fans, saw the woeful depth/talent at DT and wanted it addressed. Free agency as well as the draft came and went with the situation left as is. The status quo was shaky enough without an injury thrown into the equation. Obviously if either starter got hurt, it would leave our interior DL in dire straits.

I just hope something can be worked out where we can get a decent veteran without mortgaging something significant in the future.

there weren't good choices for a big DT like kemo in FA or the draft. at that point it would only be depth that we were addressing there when we had to worry about depth for an old lewis and a possible replacement for peppers. finding a NT was lower on the priority list that that.

guys like kemo are hard to find. i don't fault the organization for making the decisions they did in the offseason. there were some tough calls to make and even though it is hurting us now, they were the better calls to make given the choices we had.

still...we are in a tight spot now and that is all that matters. no sense in pondering over what we should have done had we had perfect knowledge of everything that happened.

It still pisses me off when I think about the draft. We needed DT help then and we REALLY need it now. Unfortunately with Kemo hurt, the price that we (and the organization) thought was too steep before the draft is much steeper now. I wondered why the heck we didn't pounce on Rocky Bernard when he was a free agent. I know the whole Peppers saga factored into it, but we could have done some restructuring to get him in the fold.

My point is in the offseason I, as well as many Panthers' fans, saw the woeful depth/talent at DT and wanted it addressed. Free agency as well as the draft came and went with the situation left as is. The status quo was shaky enough without an injury thrown into the equation. Obviously if either starter got hurt, it would leave our interior DL in dire straits.

I just hope something can be worked out where we can get a decent veteran without mortgaging something significant in the future.

The draft class for DTs has been extremely thin the last couple of years. The one guy I was really looking for this year was Ron Brace. I would have loved for us to get him with our late 2nd round pick but the Pats took him 40th overall. Who do you think we should have gone after exactly?

There weren't many FA DTs available either. Rocky Bernard would have been a good pickup but the Giants gave him a 16 million dollar contract. Doubt we could outbid them with our cap space.

Williams would make me happy.

But understand, whoever we trade for, we are on the bad end of the stick right now.

As we were with the Peppers offseason BS.

not entirely true...at least outside of the organization. one of the slick things about that trade was that minter was about to retire but only the team knew. he was at training camp and as far as anyone knew he was going to be playing that year. we were just trading for depth as far as the bears knew.

we don't have that luxury this time.

The way a team player helps the club.

As we were with the Peppers offseason BS.

The way a team player helps the club.

Oh, who could you possibly be referencing?

Just think..

Even when we get a guy, were going I have to figure out a way to fit him into the cap.

Thanks a lot Julius, your a real team player.

I love how people just assume that draft picks we didn't take are gonna be good. This last draft was pretty damn thin at DT, which means the amount of DT's our FO liked were even lower. Our first pick was in the second round FFS, how anyone can justify us taking a top notch player in a weak position of the draft at that point nonetheless, is really beyond me.

I doubt we'll go after any big names. We don't have much cap left and it's not like I want us to be trading any more draft picks away.

To those who want us to grab Glenn Dorsey, on top of the things we have to give up to grab him, keep in mind that the cats are big on character. Why is this guy in Haley's bad books in the first place? Unless I hear some convincing evidence, I'll pass.

Archived