• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I had to have this conversation over the weekend

teeray

This may be piggy backing off of SCP's post a little bit but...

First a very quick and brief background.  I live in Raleigh, but was interested in buying PSLs.  My uncle just happens to own some and is getting tired of driving to Charlotte from the coast where he lives 8 times a year.  So we made a deal.  Next season we will split the season ticket costs 50/50 and we will do a lottery to see who gets what tickets, and then in 2016 I will buy the PSLs from him outright and he gave me a great deal on them.  No one really knew about this yet.

My brother in law, who lives and grew up in western North Carolina is a Steelers fan.  I am not sure he has spent more than a day in Pittsburgh, but for some reason he decided that was going to be his team so he can brag about the rings that a team he has no real connection to has.  Whatever.

But now he is raising his son to be a Steelers fan.  Yeah my nephew who I love gets little Steelers jerseys and poo.  Needless to say it kinda drives me insane and I constantly give him poo about it.

So this past weekend I was at a family reunion.  Me and my brother in law get to talking a little about the Steelers debacle game.  He says "here check out this video on my phone"  The video shows him and my nephew at BOA all decked out in Steelers gear.  Apparently, the Steelers score a TD and my nephew (who is 10 years old BTW) jumps up in sheer joy and starts dancing and yelling.

Perhaps a better man would have looked at that as an adorable bonding experience between a father and son watching a football game together, and that should be admired as a moment that transcends petty fandom.  Perhaps. 

But I am not a better man.

I said, "You guys looked like you had a good time.  Did you guys get those tickets from our uncle?"

My brother in law said, "Yeah we did!"

I said, "Good because I am buying those PSLs and it will NEVER happen again unless you plan on putting on a Panthers jersey and pulling for the home team"

He laughed, but I didn't and said "I am fugging serious.  If I sell my tickets to anyone the first question I am going to ask is 'Who are you cheering for?' if that answer isn't the Panthers, I am not selling to them and that includes family"

Then I stood up and stormed off.... or actually kind of slowly and drunkenly staggered away.  But I think I made my point.

SO point being, come 2016 you can count on at least 2 more seats that WILL NOT be going to rival fans, no matter who they are or how much they offer.

I am the same way.  I had an extra ticket to the Pittsburgh game and one of my friends said he wanted to go.  I asked him whether he was a Panther fan or Pittsburgh and he said Panthers so he went.  If he had said Steelers he would have been staying home friend or not. That is just how I roll.

I just don't understand raising your kid as a Steeler fan in the Carolina's. We have an NFL team in our backyard that does a lot for the local schools and community and brings national recognition to the region. These fuging people that support some shitbag team 700+ miles away and then come to our house and disrespect the local venue, team, and fans are fuging morons.

I just don't understand raising your kid as a Steeler fan in the Carolina's. We have an NFL team in our backyard that does a lot for the local schools and community and brings national recognition to the region. These fuging people that support some shitbag team 700+ miles away and then come to our house and disrespect the local venue, team, and fans are fuging morons.

yeah, I don't get it either. I was a 49er fan for all of the 80s and half of the 90s.

We were a redskins family that immediately switched when we got the panthers.

Really it's a real live NFL team you can go see in person without getting on a plane or driving for 10 hours. I understand tradition and all that poo but the panthers are a chance to build one from the bottom up.

We were a redskins family that immediately switched when we got the panthers.

Really it's a real live NFL team you can go see in person without getting on a plane or driving for 10 hours. I understand tradition and all that poo but the panthers are a chance to build one from the bottom up.

Exactly. I had my oldest son at the game yesterday. The Panthers have been to his school on several occasions. We go to every Panther event we can like draft parties and fan fest and training camp. My kids love it and we love doing it as a family. These assholes that are keeping their kids in a Steeler jersey for the sake of being an asshole are missing out. fug it though, it's just more for my kids to enjoy and embrace.

This may be piggy backing off of SCP's post a little bit but...

First a very quick and brief background.  I live in Raleigh, but was interested in buying PSLs.  My uncle just happens to own some and is getting tired of driving to Charlotte from the coast where he lives 8 times a year.  So we made a deal.  Next season we will split the season ticket costs 50/50 and we will do a lottery to see who gets what tickets, and then in 2016 I will buy the PSLs from him outright and he gave me a great deal on them.  No one really knew about this yet.

My brother in law, who lives and grew up in western North Carolina is a Steelers fan.  I am not sure he has spent more than a day in Pittsburgh, but for some reason he decided that was going to be his team so he can brag about the rings that a team he has no real connection to has.  Whatever.

But now he is raising his son to be a Steelers fan.  Yeah my nephew who I love gets little Steelers jerseys and poo.  Needless to say it kinda drives me insane and I constantly give him poo about it.

So this past weekend I was at a family reunion.  Me and my brother in law get to talking a little about the Steelers debacle game.  He says "here check out this video on my phone"  The video shows him and my nephew at BOA all decked out in Steelers gear.  Apparently, the Steelers score a TD and my nephew (who is 10 years old BTW) jumps up in sheer joy and starts dancing and yelling.

Perhaps a better man would have looked at that as an adorable bonding experience between a father and son watching a football game together, and that should be admired as a moment that transcends petty fandom.  Perhaps. 

But I am not a better man.

I said, "You guys looked like you had a good time.  Did you guys get those tickets from our uncle?"

My brother in law said, "Yeah we did!"

I said, "Good because I am buying those PSLs and it will NEVER happen again unless you plan on putting on a Panthers jersey and pulling for the home team"

He laughed, but I didn't and said "I am fugging serious.  If I sell my tickets to anyone the first question I am going to ask is 'Who are you cheering for?' if that answer isn't the Panthers, I am not selling to them and that includes family"

Then I stood up and stormed off.... or actually kind of slowly and drunkenly staggered away.  But I think I made my point.

SO point being, come 2016 you can count on at least 2 more seats that WILL NOT be going to rival fans, no matter who they are or how much they offer.

Just let me know the games you can't go to.  I'll gladly take them off your hands, good sir.  

Archived