• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stewart likely out on Sunday

Jeremy Igo

with the constant injuries, yeah I could see DG taking the loss and moving on after this season.

We'd lose about $300k if we let D-Will walk after the season.  We'd lose about $5 million if we let Stewart walk.  It's a very good possibility they'll both be gone after this season.  They might make Stewart a June 1st designation so they can split the difference and take a $2.5 million hit over 2015 and 2016.

I love D-Will, and have since he's been here.  However, I'm not blind to the fact that he's not 25 year old D-Will.  I'm not blind to the fact that his YPC average, is heavily inflated by single 40-60 yard runs, every 5 games.  Take those away, and he's probably closer to a 2.3 YPC average.  I think the guys playing Sunday can average that without too much trouble.   :unsure:

Then there's stay-hurt Stewart.  Love the guy, but I think his running style does, and will continue to, keep him on the injury report.  That coupled with the fact that he's had ankle issues since high school...  

It's just time to move on really.  There's tons of effective backs to be had on the cheap.

If DWill takes a serious, and I mean serious, pay cut he may make it one more season.  But he won't and neither would I.

Same for Stew.  They would have to play for league vet minimum to stay on the team.

That's true.  Like I said above, there's really too many running backs out there that can be just as effective, if not more, and not cost 1/8 of what D-Will is making this year.

Actually, unless DWill takes a pay cut, he will be gone in the offseason.

Same for Stew in the offseason after the 15 season.

...still will have dead money...  keep dead money to 5mil a year at best... wonder what the breakdown is for all the other teams that have dead money and how much it is...its killing us to not be able to sign some players that can make an impact fill holes..even though Gman wears his belt around his breasts the belt is really around his cojones...

As much as you guys hate Williams and Stewart, they're both by far our best RBs. You cant blame them for poo blocking but this is The Huddle. I'm positive this fanbase would bash E. Smith too behind this OL.

Good running backs can run behind o-lines that aren't all that great.  Beast Mode is a perfect example.  I don't "hate" either one of them though.  I can say, from what I've seen thus far, neither of them are very patient right now.  Stewart just steams ahead into where the run is designed to go a lot, and just tries to force his way through.  He doesn't even give it a chance to open most of the time.  D-Will likes to "float" east/west and will overshoot the hole, looking ahead, instead of what's in front of him.  One specific play against Detroit, I saw a hole big enough to drive a bus through open up, between the center and LG.  D-Will immediately bounced it out to the right, into oncoming traffic.  

...still will have dead money...  keep dead money to 5mil a year at best... wonder what the breakdown is for all the other teams that have dead money and how much it is...its killing us to not be able to sign some players that can make an impact fill holes..even though Gman wears his belt around his breasts the belt is really around his cojones...

Next season DWills cap his is almost the same as his dead money.  If he can't lace up, he is taking reps from younger guys and taking up a roster spot.  Designate him a June 1 cut and you spread his 6.6 over two years.

Stew's cap hit next year is 8.3 and the dead money if cut is 13.6 making him almost un-cuttable.  After next season his hit is 9.5 while the dead money would only be 7.3.  We will save over 2 million by cutting him after next season.

Honestly, and I'm not talking about you PD....many on this board need to realize just how bad of a situation the Panthers were in when Gettleman took over before they bash him.

Good running backs can run behind o-lines that aren't all that great.  Beast Mode is a perfect example.  I don't "hate" either one of them though.  I can say, from what I've seen thus far, neither of them are very patient right now.  Stewart just steams ahead into where the run is designed to go a lot, and just tries to force his way through.  He doesn't even give it a chance to open most of the time.  D-Will likes to "float" east/west and will overshoot the hole, looking ahead, instead of what's in front of him.  One specific play against Detroit, I saw a hole big enough to drive a bus through open up, between the center and LG.  D-Will immediately bounced it out to the right, into oncoming traffic.  

...dwill avoids contact at all costs... he doesn't want to get hammered and is always looking for an easy landing,so it seems. I never carried the rock so I don't know how it feels....I do know that i'd be ashamed to say what I'd do for a million bucks let alone 8...

We'd lose about $300k if we let D-Will walk after the season.  We'd lose about $5 million if we let Stewart walk.  It's a very good possibility they'll both be gone after this season.  They might make Stewart a June 1st designation so they can split the difference and take a $2.5 million hit over 2015 and 2016.

I love D-Will, and have since he's been here.  However, I'm not blind to the fact that he's not 25 year old D-Will.  I'm not blind to the fact that his YPC average, is heavily inflated by single 40-60 yard runs, every 5 games.  Take those away, and he's probably closer to a 2.3 YPC average.  I think the guys playing Sunday can average that without too much trouble.   :unsure:

Then there's stay-hurt Stewart.  Love the guy, but I think his running style does, and will continue to, keep him on the injury report.  That coupled with the fact that he's had ankle issues since high school...  

It's just time to move on really.  There's tons of effective backs to be had on the cheap.

If we make Stew a June 1st cut we would actually create cap space, not take a hit.

His cap hit if he stays for 2015/2016 is 8.3m and 9.55m.

If we cut him his cap hit for 2015/2016 is 6.3m and 7.3m.

In both years we would have around an extra 2m to use.  Also his 2017 cap hit of 8.25m will be gone.

DWill is a little more complicated to explain.  He actually has two voidable years on his contract. (2016 and 2017)

As stated in the quote if we cut him outright we will lose about 300k

If we keep him his cap hit for 2015 is 6.3m.  For 2016 its 2.3m even though we won't really have him under contract.

If we do a June 1 cut his hit for 2015 is 4.3m and we still carry 2.3m in 2016.

I could see either being cut.

Also cutting Tolbert actually creates the most cap space if you are just looking at 2015.  We would save about 2.4m.   

You do realize that Beast Mode has an OL specifically tailored for the run, not pass right? On that note, that's not a valid counter argument. There have been games where Adrian Peterson has averaged 2 yards per carry but he's never blamed -- the OL is however. So I don't wanna hear this poo again when we make the same excuse for QBs.

I realize that Seattle's run blocking was 23rd in the league last season, and Lynch rushed for over 1,200 yards.  Good RB's make it work.  Everyone of them are going to have bad games, but not consistently.  

Same can be said about QB's.  I mean, what are we, like 25th in pass protection?  Not good at all, but Cam's had really good success passing.  When he's not on his back....

If we make Stew a June 1st cut we would actually create cap space, not take a hit.

His cap hit if he stays for 2015/2016 is 8.3m and 9.55m.

If we cut him his cap hit for 2015/2016 is 6.3m and 7.3m.

In both years we would have around an extra 2m to use.  Also his 2017 cap hit of 8.25m will be gone.

DWill is a little more complicated to explain.  He actually has two voidable years on his contract. (2016 and 2017)

As stated in the quote if we cut him outright we will lose about 300k

If we keep him his cap hit for 2015 is 6.3m.  For 2016 its 2.3m even though we won't really have him under contract.

If we do a June 1 cut his hit for 2015 is 4.3m and we still carry 2.3m in 2016.

I could see either being cut.

Also cutting Tolbert actually creates the most cap space if you are just looking at 2015.  We would save about 2.4m.   

Disregard that post.  When I looked back over it, I saw my own miscalculations.  I created a new account because I couldn't log on to the mobile app with my other log in, and I guess I don't have enough posting cred to be able to edit right now on this account.  

You're right though.  It really shouldn't be a surprise if those guys aren't in Carolina unis next season.  

Archived