• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivers leads MVP race, followed by QBs P Manning, Wilson, Luck, RB Murray, DE Watt per SI, CBS, FOX, USA Today, etc

gettlemanjack

Won't comment on the dog thing. I'll just say my views differ than most on that topic. 

This got me thinking last night as I was having a wonderful IPA, and petting one of the nicest dogs I have ever encountered.

How exactly do you view the running of an illegal dog fighting ring, and executing at least 6 dogs as inhumanely as possible?

And, no, Vick was not a pioneer at all.

He was not the first to do what he did, not even close, and for that matter not even as well as his predecessors.

1. I have no idea why y'all are talking about Vick in an NFL MVP discussion thread when Vick is probably the worst QB in the NFL this season and has been irrelevant for a while

2. Talking about Vick at all just makes him look good. If you don't want to make Vick look good, quit talking about him. Vick has been garbage and an afterthought for a while, if you don't want to make him look good, quit talking about him

3. Back in his young buck days before jail, Vick was a pioneer of the read-option you see across the NFL today. in 2006, the Falcons busted out the read option with a sub-par pocket passer/great runner who had just turned 26 in Michael Vick. In the first game, they ran for 306 yards against Monte Kiffin and the Bucs. It worked all year: the Falcons led the NFL in rushing with 183.7 yards per game and Vick became the 1st quarterback in history to rush for 1,000 yards. Vick was in jail the next two seasons, so we never got to see what he could do during his prime years

4. That was 2006. This is 2014. Vick is awful now and has been for a while. The hottest name in the sub-par pocket passer/great runner category now is Kaepernick, and nobody is talking about him in any MVP discussions either

1. I have no idea why y'all are talking about Vick in an NFL MVP discussion thread when Vick is probably the worst QB in the NFL this season and has been irrelevant for a while

2. Talking about Vick at all just makes him look good. If you don't want to make Vick look good, quit talking about him. Vick has been garbage and an afterthought for a while, if you don't want to make him look good, quit talking about him

3. Back in his young buck days before jail, Vick was a pioneer of the read-option you see across the NFL today. in 2006, the Falcons busted out the read option with a sub-par pocket passer/great runner who had just turned 26 in Michael Vick. In the first game, they ran for 306 yards against Monte Kiffin and the Bucs. It worked all year: the Falcons led the NFL in rushing with 183.7 yards per game and Vick became the 1st quarterback in history to rush for 1,000 yards. Vick was in jail the next two seasons, so we never got to see what he could do during his prime years

4. That was 2006. This is 2014. Vick is awful now and has been for a while. The hottest name in the sub-par pocket passer/great runner category now is Kaepernick, and nobody is talking about him in any MVP discussions either

I didn't bring it up, just responding to a poster who looks up to one of the worst role models in the NFL.

And just to get back on topic, the Chargers are probably going to have to start up contract extension talks pretty soon with the 1st quarter MVP.

He will be 33 in December, and if history is any indicator, he will probably be playing at an extremely high level until he is 36/37.  How he decides to have the contract structured will go a long way toward him getting to a Super Bowl.

NFL.com two days ago (Brian Billick)

"Philip Rivers outshining all other QBs... Philip Rivers appears to be outdoing them all... this year, with his 4-1 Chargers sitting atop the AFC West, he's been better than ever -- arguably the best quarterback in the NFL...the Bolts have outscored their opponents this season by a whopping 70 points, easily the biggest margin in the NFL...In my time in the NFL, two players stand out as the ones I was the most wrong about. One is Brett Favre...The other is Rivers... Like Favre, however, Rivers..this season, [has] entered the early conversation about the MVP award. ... Luck is rapidly climbing -- but this might be Philip Rivers ' time."

Washington Post:

"J.J. Watt deserves to be NFL MVP... it’s not that Watt is taking over games – he is flat out dominating them... If Cowboys’ running back DeMarco Murray stays on track for a 2,000-yard season or Andrew Luck continues his torrid pace it is going to be tough for Watt to get the support he deserves. Plus, quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning are always in the mix. But make no mistake – Watt is the most valuable player in the league by a wide margin."

Archived