• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Highs and Lows after first quarter of the season

Jeremy Igo

This is my issue right now for this team.

We are inept in the red/gold zone, and are not quick enough to score consistently enough out of it.

Apparently Cam only completes 44% of his passes in the red zone.  Although, I can probably count on one hand how many of our possessions have actually made it to the red zone this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000401575/article/photos/0ap3000000402571

There is some statistical proof for Smith's assertion. Newton has only completed 44 percent of his passes in the red zone since 2011. Then again, Newton is one of the best red-zone runners in the league (not that wide receivers care as much about that).

Best Wide Receiver: Jerricho Cotchery

Worst Wide Receiver: Kelvin Benjamin

This is exactly why I don't like all these new stats in sports.

Being an Angels fan I compare this (KB) to Mike Trout having a negative defensive WAR number. These stats don't take in account that Mike Trout gets to a ball that a typical center fielder never would. So Trout gets penalized for being a faster, better CF because they judge him on balls that have no business being caught in the first place.

The same goes for KB, KB is able to make plays on balls the Cotchery never could. So these stat guys penalize KB for not catching a ball that a normal WR wouldn't even be able to make a play on.

Apparently Cam only completes 44% of his passes in the red zone.  Although, I can probably count on one hand how many of our possessions have actually made it to the red zone this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000401575/article/photos/0ap3000000402571

44% is low, but not the end of the World.

However, how many actually make it to paydirt?

Cam is good in the red zone when running, however his TD numbers are dropping season over season, but he has never ranked all that highly in passing TD's.  That said, we have not had red zone receivers since he has been here.

For us to turn this season around, Cam will need to hit paydirt passing at a higher clip, or get his ankle healed over night.  I'm hoping for us to turn around the passing side.

I think that's an anomaly. 

Could be his injuries or could be that he's still adjusting to every receiver not named Benjamin or Olsen, but the receivers we have right now are definitely better red zone threats than what we had last season.

Could be his injuries or could be that he's still adjusting to every receiver not named Benjamin or Olsen, but the receivers we have right now are definitely better red zone threats than what we had last season.

I'm not sure it is an anomaly.

It appears Cam's number 1 priority in the redzone is ball protection. I think he becomes almost too careful down there, preferring to overthrow guys (for example) rather than taking a chance on a pick. I expect this to change as the years go on and he gains confidence in fitting it in tight windows on the compressed part of the field.

Just an observation/opinion.

that stat dates back to 2011

44% is low, but not the end of the World.

However, how many actually make it to paydirt?

Cam is good in the red zone when running, however his TD numbers are dropping season over season, but he has never ranked all that highly in passing TD's.  That said, we have not had red zone receivers since he has been here.

For us to turn this season around, Cam will need to hit paydirt passing at a higher clip, or get his ankle healed over night.  I'm hoping for us to turn around the passing side.

I have not clue, I would have never guess that completion %.  But it does date back to his rookie year.  Not the end of the world(but something he has to improve on), and it could suggest he struggles with smaller areas of the field and might give credit to what Smith suggested as in he takes longer than some QBs to make a decision or have trouble seeing the entire field.

that stat dates back to 2011

Thought it was just this year.  My mistake.

I'm not sure it is an anomaly.

It appears Cam's number 1 priority in the redzone is ball protection. I think he becomes almost too careful down there, preferring to overthrow guys (for example) rather than taking a chance on a pick. I expect this to change as the years go on and he gains confidence in fitting it in tight windows on the compressed part of the field.

Just an observation/opinion.

I still gotta believe that ultimately improves with the crop of receiving options we've got now.

Still pretty early right now, but I'd love to see a year over year comparison.

Archived