• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gil Brandt draft redo

ctrcat

kraken more than likely won't wear a panthers jersey ever again. not much of a bird in the hand. more like just a big moth.

I refuse to believe we're that gutless. That's also severely underestimating how passionate we are as a fanbase and the backlash that would resonate among Panther fans FAR more than that the rest of this country that doesn't give two chits would have reacted had he not been "suspended". JMO.

i like it a lot.

not criticizing the other picks, but i'm wondering where kony ealy would have shown up. i doubt if gettleman wasn't so addicted to defensive linemen that we would have picked him there. i'm still having problems with that pick and the fact that he's pretty much been invisible so far while the ther DE we put a franchise tag on (another move i wasn't crazy about either) sits somewhere away from the field still collecting his paycheck.

Could have picked up another WR or OL-Men

More perspective. If Brandt is right in his very conservative redo and KB would go #10 overall, then according to the trade value chart our entire draft wouldn't have been enough to get to #10 from #28. It would have taken, approximately, our entire draft plus an extra 3rd. If KB went top 5 change the 3rd to an extra 2nd, if top 3 then change the 3rd to an extra 1st (neither crazy to think). Count your blessings Panther fans.

banging on gman now is short sighted. this is only his second season, and we have been cash strapped due to bad contracts still on the books. he's proven that he can pick quality talent. he'll build a solid roster through drafting and good contracts. 3 years few now, everyone will be praising the roster for having better backups than most teams have starters.

Some folks on this board will pretty much bail on half the organization after a loss, the other half after a second loss.  And it doesn't really matter whether the people they're blaming actually had anything to do with the problem.  It's complete slash and burn.

Big picture thinking isn't exactly a strength around here.

oh...and for the question of what should/could have been done on the OL. james frikkin hurst...you know, the guy who is now starting for the ravens that they picked up as a udfa and graded out much better than bell and chandler in his first start?

oh...and what else could he have done? brought in some competition instead of just deciding to settle on chandler and bell early on. i have a hard time believing that those two would have outright beat out all FAs we could have brought in, regardless of how crappy the market was. the decision was made to go with those two as the starters early on in the offseason and gettleman acted like there was no need to even try to bring in competition.

oh well, hopefully that changes next year.

so, one guy.  one undrafted player is the reason DG sucks as a GM.  let's not pretend that Hurst is the next coming of Orlando Pace.  He's starting because the guy in front of him went down, not because he earned it through stellar play.  Yes he's doing fine, but he got a lot of help last weekend.  Hurst would have been nice to add to the team, and probably has a good future in front of him, but he would not have made our Oline a solid ass kicking machine this year.

OL changes are certainly coming, be it through FA or the draft, when the right player is there.  Overpaying for mediocre talent is not going to happen.  We'll get our Oline, and it will be quality talent for a proper contract.

What really screwed us up was Gross retiring. I think they were really banking on him giving it one more year. 

Per Gross himself, they tried pretty hard to get hm to stay one more year.

Bell is the worst starting left-tackle graded by PFF so far this season. Let that fuging sink in your head. Gettleman and Rivera ignored ALL other options because they somehow thought he would magically play better than he did while on the right.

And yes, if you actually look at my older posts, I was not a fan of franchising Hardy. I thought it was a horrible mistake.

Actually, they tried to sign Anthony Collins to play left tackle, but he chose Tampa instead.

They were looking hard at tackles in the first round of the draft too, but after the only five they believed were worthy of first round picks got taken, they decided on Benjamin instead (and it was the right call).

Bell is indeed who we ended up with there, but the notion that this was the plan all along has no basis in reality.

The majority of Panther fans can't handle a GM that makes actual BUSINESS decisions instead of jumping at the first busted FA OL or DB that comes on the wire. You see it in the Smitty situation, fans want loyalty but expect to win now, fans want to sign FA's with no long term value but want to be good long time. Bottom line is you don't get to the top over night, it takes time and consistently good decisions. I feel Gman is the the GM we need to get us there, you just have to decide whether or not your along for the ride. We will get there but it doesn't happen in one or even two seasons especially with cap he inherited.

Per Gross himself, they tried pretty hard to get hm to stay one more year.

Actually, they tried to sign Anthony Collins to play left tackle, but he chose Tampa instead.

They were looking hard at tackles in the first round of the draft too, but after the only five they believed were worthy of first round picks got taken, they decided on Benjamin instead (and it was the right call).

Bell is indeed who we ended up with there, but the notion that this was the plan all along has no basis in reality.

Fwiw, Voth said yesterday on the radio we did not pursue Collins in any way, shape, or form. For all anyone knows, it was Collins' agent spreading those rumors. Still doesn't mean GMan doesn't know what he's doing.

Fwiw, Voth said yesterday on the radio we did not pursue Collins in any way, shape, or form. For all anyone knows, it was Collins' agent spreading those rumors. Still doesn't mean GMan doesn't know what he's doing.

Hard to say.  I remember the story last year.

Could legitimately have just been Collins agent trying to drum up support.  Of course, teams also have a habit of saying 'we didn't really want him anyway' about guys who don't sign with them, so who knows?

Either way, Gettleman himself talked about wanting a tackle.  In his Draft Day presser, he mentioned that after Juwuan James was taken they believed all the first round quality tackles were gone.

My personal belief is that we'll retool this coming offseason.  Getting to that point is gonna be a rough stretch though :(

Archived