• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 4 reasons for current losing streak

Jeremy Igo

I think Cam's ankle is the sneaky big story this season that we all downplayed 

I really don't know what to think of it.

Someone with an ailing ankle doesn't run out of the tunnel, do eagle turns around Philly brown, jump up and bounce off defensive linemen, all before warmups even start.

Someone with an ailing ankle doesn't run out of the tunnel, do eagle turns around Philly brown, jump up and bounce off defensive linemen, all before warmups even start.

it may not be as much as a physical issue as a psychological one. he might be subconsciously avoiding the run. There is likely a little voice in the back of his head screaming "don't ruin your football career by screwing your ankle right before a huge contract"

I don't question Cam's toughness or love for the game at all, but he's human

I love a Shula bashing thread as much as the next guy, but it's not all Shula's fault. Look at me defending Shula. What has the world come to?

Here are the four biggest issues that have contributed to the Panthers 2 game losing streak (in no particular order):

1. Panthers are negative in turnover differential. The last turnover the Panthers had in their favor was Gano's fumble recovery against Detroit. Our defense has caused zero turnovers since then after leading the league in turnovers the first two games. The Panthers offense isn't good, giving them fewer opportunities doesn't help matters.

2. Offensive line looks awful against a 3-4. We have two tackles who do well against slower, larger bull rushing defensive ends. Against speedy ends or 3-4 backers, they are just awful. See the first play against the Ravens for reference. The good news is Chicago runs a classic base 4-3, although they will change it up a but like the Panthers from time to time.

3. No member of the defensive line demands a double team. Defenses now have the luxury of having a free offensive lineman to block Luke or any other linebacker they wish. This is a game changer and has an impact on the entire defense that cannot be overstated. If just one member of the defensive line would step up and require a constant double team, there would be a domino effect that would improve the play of all defensive positions on the field.

4. Run Blocking. It is almost non existent. This is a surprise to me, as I had such high hopes for Trai Turner. He hasn't developed as quickly as I had hoped. Silatolu looks like he hasn't improved since his rookie season. The poor play at both guard positions is forcing Kalil to stretch his play and in turn makes even him look bad. It looks like once again Cam Newton is our only hope for yards on the ground.

The fix?

In my opinion, the following might get things turned around....

1. Let Cam be Cam. If Cam feels comfortable enough to take off ... let him. He is less likely to be injured running around in space than relying on Chandler and Bell to protect him. If Cam adds that element to the game, teams will be forced to gameplan around it, and that will open up things tremendously for the rest of the offense.

2. Keep KK Short in next to Alexander. These guys worked a lot next to each other in camp and preseason and looked fantastic on stunts. Both are talented enough to require that double team as a tandem. The center will be forced to help out instead of popping out to the second level. If that happens, the run defense is back to normal.

I think the primary reason for the losing streak is that we've lost the last two games :unsure:

Agree about the turnovers.  First two games we had an amazing run of causing them while not giveing them up.  That's shot now.

I still think you have to double Lotulelei at least part of the time.  Used to be that you had to worry about both him and Hardy on that side.  Now there's no one that really scares anybody on that end.  With regard to Star though, one of the knocks on him in college was that he faded as games wore on.  Maybe the rotation isn't good enough these days.  Don't know. 

I do know Colin Cole overachieved last year and isn't achieving much this season.  Johnson has looked like he's not full strength all year and Dwan Edwards might be declining.  Outside of Star and Kawann Short, our defensive line has gone from monsters to teddy bears, and it's killing our linebacker production and exposing our defensive backs.

Bottom Line: Everything we did on defense last year fed off defensive line pressure from four guys only, and now it's not there.

On the offense, it's not just the run blocking.  Teams know we can't run so they can tee off on pass rush.  The tackles aren't getting it done.  Turner is still a rookie that's learning and everyone else is just off because the chemistry isn't working.

Granted that in prior years, even with Gross, our OL sometimes started the season rough but got better around six weeks or so in.  Granted that could still happen, but I'm not especially confident that an "ah ha" moment is coming this season.

As an OC you must be able to adapt your playcalling, style, and philosophy. 

That is on him. 

what he meant is that in the beginning the Panthers knew exactly what they were getting in Shula..  an OC who couldn't adapt playcalling, style and philosophy, and therefore, the initial blame goes on the hiring of Shula...

what he meant is that in the beginning the Panthers knew exactly what they were getting in Shula.. an OC who couldn't adapt playcalling, style and philosophy, and therefore, the initial blame goes on the hiring of Shula...

Nothing wrong with a Shula hire.

Blame goes on FO not for hiring Shula....but hiring him and not giving him the talent to even remotely do what they know and hired him to do

Nothing wrong with a Shula hire.

Blame goes on FO not for hiring Shula....but hiring him and not giving him the talent to even remotely do what they know and hired him to do

I can see both sides of the blame..  Sure, blame the FO for not giving a coordinator every tool because you know that's the only way he'll be successful.  But also for hiring that type of guy knowing the cap situation is going to hold the team back when they can't stock the shelves full of talent and will take time to process.

I can see both sides of the blame.. Sure, blame the FO for not giving a coordinator every tool because you know that's the only way he'll be successful. But also for hiring that type of guy knowing the cap situation is going to hold the team back when they can't stock the shelves full of talent and will take time to process.

No one said give him every tool. But if you hire a ball control OC you gotta at least give him an average OL. He won't be good with that but bad OL is guaranteed failure.

Cam is a cheat code when heathly though

To be fair though, it might feel great then but feel awful after taking some shots and such.  Ditto his ribs.

I'll echo (and broaden) what I said last week: While I wouldn't necessarily accuse any team we've played of deliberately targeting the areas of Cam's injury, I'm disturbed by just how many shots those areas have taken; especially his lower leg.

Archived