• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 4 reasons for current losing streak

Jeremy Igo

I love a Shula bashing thread as much as the next guy, but it's not all Shula's fault. Look at me defending Shula. What has the world come to?

Here are the four biggest issues that have contributed to the Panthers 2 game losing streak (in no particular order):

1. Panthers are negative in turnover differential. The last turnover the Panthers had in their favor was Gano's fumble recovery against Detroit. Our defense has caused zero turnovers since then after leading the league in turnovers the first two games. The Panthers offense isn't good, giving them fewer opportunities doesn't help matters.

2. Offensive line looks awful against a 3-4. We have two tackles who do well against slower, larger bull rushing defensive ends. Against speedy ends or 3-4 backers, they are just awful. See the first play against the Ravens for reference. The good news is Chicago runs a classic base 4-3, although they will change it up a but like the Panthers from time to time.

3. No member of the defensive line demands a double team. Defenses now have the luxury of having a free offensive lineman to block Luke or any other linebacker they wish. This is a game changer and has an impact on the entire defense that cannot be overstated. If just one member of the defensive line would step up and require a constant double team, there would be a domino effect that would improve the play of all defensive positions on the field.

4. Run Blocking. It is almost non existent. This is a surprise to me, as I had such high hopes for Trai Turner. He hasn't developed as quickly as I had hoped. Silatolu looks like he hasn't improved since his rookie season. The poor play at both guard positions is forcing Kalil to stretch his play and in turn makes even him look bad. It looks like once again Cam Newton is our only hope for yards on the ground.

The fix?

In my opinion, the following might get things turned around....

1. Let Cam be Cam. If Cam feels comfortable enough to take off ... let him. He is less likely to be injured running around in space than relying on Chandler and Bell to protect him. If Cam adds that element to the game, teams will be forced to gameplan around it, and that will open up things tremendously for the rest of the offense.

2. Keep KK Short in next to Alexander. These guys worked a lot next to each other in camp and preseason and looked fantastic on stunts. Both are talented enough to require that double team as a tandem. The center will be forced to help out instead of popping out to the second level. If that happens, the run defense is back to normal.

Agree with all the points but I do think Shula is more responsible then you say. We seem to be using last year's playbook without last year's Cam, behind a O line that is completely inexperienced at reading 3-4s. Some of the blame has to go to Matsko for preparation but Shula has to get some blame for not tweaking the playbook to work the slot and be a bit more creative with short routes. 

Well, 

1) OL is just God freaking awful. On run locking and pass blocking. 

Solution - Go to a quick 3 step drop passing attack with mostly short routes. Even the crappiest of OLmen can cover for 3 seconds (generally). 

2) Defense - This is largely attributed to the DL. They are getting man handled at the point of attack. Also been an issue with gap assignment. Even Luke has been losing gap control / assignment. This is in turn affecting the secondary (especially the S's). Our DB's are simply not good enough to cover for any significant amount of time.

Solution - Start Short. Go over the basics of gap control. Light a fire under their a$$. I think the D will get things turned around. If we have another 2 games of this then I will go from this is a blimp to this is the norm. At present I will give the D and RR the benefit of the doubt.

3) O Playcalling / Shula - He is not adapting to the circumstances. Still continues to run the ball right up the gut. Still has way to many long developing routes. Still not enough check downs for Cam.

Solution - He needs to completely re-tool his offensive philosophy to better suit are weakness and advantages. Of which I highlighted earlier. 

4) Injuries / Suspensions / Players MIA - Guys like Davis,DW, and Cam need to get healthy. Hardy needs to come back from suspension. CJ needs to show up in a bloody game. He has went completely ghost. 

Solution - Fug IDK

Agree with all the points but I do think Shula is more responsible then you say. We seem to be using last year's playbook without last year's Cam, behind a O line that is completely inexperienced at reading 3-4s. Some of the blame has to go to Matsko for preparation but Shula has to get some blame for not tweaking the playbook to work the slot and be a bit more creative with short routes. 

You can't blame Shula for being Shula. The team knew going into the season he wasn't all that creative or able to out coach his opponent. What he can do is provide a steady, efficient, clock eating offense if his players are executing properly. The players are currently failing him.

You can't blame Shula for being Shula. The team knew going into the season he wasn't all that creative or able to out coach his opponent. What he can do is provide a steady, efficient, clock eating offense if his players are executing properly. The players are currently failing him.

As an OC you must be able to adapt your playcalling, style, and philosophy. 

That is on him. 

I think he's failing the players, and we can absolutely blame him for doing that.

The line are failing Matsko and Brown who have spent alot of time and film trying to explain how to read specific packages and react to the angles and speed coming their way. It will come with experience but its just not something that we can naturally create in training as our d-line is set up differently. 

But if Shula is responsible for the overall productivity of the offence he should be trying to recognise these deficiencies and make up for it. Instead he's calling plays that makes the players look worse. 

Cam can't even be himself behind this line. The snap count doesn't help either. When it is 3rd down and you snap the ball at the end off the play clock every time it's very easy for the D line to get a good jump. Cam also can't do anything when Shula is calling running plays just so he can say he ran it more than 10 times. The Panthers can't score points and the majority of the blame should be on Shula.

Archived