• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

EJ Manuel benched. Kyle Orton will start Week 5 for the Bills

gettlemanjack

-Cleveland owns Buffalo's 2015 1st round pick.

-Kyle Orton was the Broncos starter that lost the starter job to Tim T3bow

-Bills become the 5th different team for which Kyle Orton has started: 2005-2008 Bears (33 starts), 2009-2011 Broncos (33 starts), 2011 Chiefs (3 starts), 2013 Cowboys (1 start)

-Kyle Orton will be the Bills' 14th starting quarterback since Jim Kelly retired after the 1996 season.

ByuYZ-dIAAAXBQz.jpg

ByuW4pyIgAA0jvv.jpg

Bills coach during the presser:

Doug Marrone: "We have a playoff caliber team. This gives us the best opportunity to win."

Doug Marrone: "When decisions are made, it's about one thing: what puts us in the best position to win?"

Marrone: "We came in today, looked at the tape, and made a decision that gives us the best opportunity to win"

Doug Marrone: "We are all-in to win. That's what it comes down to."

Doug Marrone on EJ Manuel's reaction: "He handled it professionally, it's never an easy thing. He showed a helluva lot of courage."

Doug Marrone: Decision on QB was discussed with GM Doug Whaley. Full agreement when decision was made early this afternoon.

comments on a Bills forum:

-"Well, let's see how Kyle Orton does with--BY FAR--the best receivers/running backs he's had in his career."

-"I've watched a LOT of Orton. The dude is a good QB. He's never played on a team with the talent we have. This is going to be good...I promise"

-"This is a needed sign of sanity from the coaching staff. ... Marrone needed to do this for the veterans on this team (and perhaps his job)."

-"EJ is done in Buffalo."

-"I think you've likely seen EJ Manuel start his last NFL game."

-"I were a betting man, I would bet EJ's done for all time"

-"EJ is now officially a bust. I'm now in full on college QB scouting and I want a QB next draft. Orton can start this year and next while our QB sits and develops some before taking over. Let's !@#$ing do this!"

-"This was absolutely the right move and I'm kind of blown away that the Bills had the balls to make it. Is Orton the long term answer? Of course not. Is he capable of getting this team to 10/11 wins. Absolutely. ... This team has playoff talent. Robert Woods is a 70-80 catch receiver playing for a decent QB. And Watkins is game changer. And if the team can make teams play the pass honestly, it opens up a ton in the running game."

-"I think Orton and our defense can get us a wild card."

-"I can't wait to read the other sites the Monday after each game " Are you serious? We let Kyle bleepin Orton torch us"?!"

-"Orton clearly isn't the long-term answer, but his three years as a starter all have completion %, yards per attempt, and interception rate that EJ has never yet reached. This makes us a better football team ... I'm glad that action is being taken when it isn't too late"

-"I respect Marrone for pulling the trigger. It's almost unheard of in today's NFL. Most coaches would ride the First Round QB to their early NFL grave. Bravo, Doug!"

-"Props to whoever made this decision. I like what Whaley's done but this pick was an abomination from the very beginning. The best GMs move on quickly from their mistakes and that's good for Bills fans. We finally want to win!"

-"Orton has been lighting things up in practice, he'll have all the WRs behind him and probably the running backs as well. I did not expect St. Doug to make this move, it impresses me that he has. It's the perfect time to do it."

-"this had to happen....credit the front office staff for making this move while we are still in playoff contention."

-"Damn, I was hoping we'd give EJ another 30 games so we could really, really, really, really know that he sucks. Now we just really, really know he sucks."

-"This is a move that brings the locker room together"

-"Our receivers must have been begging for this."

-Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News: "Another consider ation in Bills' QB switch is confidence of the locker room."

-"It'll be interesting to see if the Jets follow suit and start Vick."

All i've got to say is, black QBs will never make it in the NFL even in this time and age.  For unlike their white counter-parts who simply have to play decent, they have to go above and beyond to prove themselves. Unless, they are the media chosen and not a threat. 2-2 start and the kid gets bench for a guy whose career is 35-35.

All i've got to say is, black QBs will never make it in the NFL even in this time and age. For unlike their white counter-parts who simply have to play decent, they have to go above and beyond to prove themselves. Unless, they are the media chosen and not a threat. 2-2 start and the kid gets bench for a guy whose career is 35-35.

Matt Cassell wasn't playing well and got benched in favor of Teddy Bridgewater.

All i've got to say is, black QBs will never make it in the NFL even in this time and age.  For unlike their white counter-parts who simply have to play decent, they have to go above and beyond to prove themselves. Unless, they are the media chosen and not a threat. 2-2 start and the kid gets bench for a guy whose career is 35-35.

Wins are not a QB statistic. If that were the case, should the Panthers have benched Cam for starting his career with a 14-22 record? Of course not, because he wasn't the problem. The Golden Calf of Bristol had a winning record as a starter and has a playoff win, but it was clear that he was holding the team back so he's out of the league. It's the same situation in Buffalo, you've got a pretty good defense, excellent receiving corp, and a strong running game, and EJ was holding the team back. Like The Golden Calf of Bristol, most people think EJ was overdrafted. Now I agree with you that Kyle Orton is not a world beater, but he can manage the game better than EJ and has a good enough team around him that he doesn't have to do the heavy lifting.

Archived