• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Along the Sidelines - Ravens Edition

Jeremy Igo

Another week, another crushing loss. There isn't much positive to pull from today.

As the day started, hopes were high. The team ran on to the field with energy and seemed to be in a positive vibe. Thomas Davis was, of course, inactive. I think we all see now just what he means to the Panthers defense. Without Davis, Luke has looked... well... human.

Panthers-Ravens-6.jpg

Cam Newton stood stoically as Steve Smith was introduced. Cam took the time to watch him come out of the tunnel. This is not something he typically does.

Panthers-Ravens-8.jpg

These next two photos are not for the faint of heart. From the very first play, we all knew the Panthers were in trouble.

Panthers-Ravens-9.jpg

Panthers-Ravens-10.jpg

There was barely a pocket throughout the day for Cam to throw in. Throw in the fact that the turf was extremely soft and slick.. Cam never had much of a chance. I tweeted before the game that I have never seen a turf so heavy with the rubber granules. He frequently lost his footing when trying to scramble.

Panthers-Ravens-13.jpg

Then, of course, there was 89. We all were accustomed to Steve Smith burning Roman Harper.... just not on the losing side.

Panthers-Ravens-15.jpg

Steve's second TD capped off another noteworthy performance by him, once again with Harper watching.

Panthers-Ravens-34.jpg

Steve was all smiles on the sideline. His teammates were congratulating him throughout the day. It was obvious everyone knew what an important game this was for him.

Panthers-Ravens-17.jpg

Deangelo Williams was looking good, until he was injured on this play...

Panthers-Ravens-23.jpg

I was told by a Panthers official not to expect any word on the extent of his injury until tomorrow.

Panthers-Ravens-25.jpg

Benjamin's TD catch was one of the only highlights for the Panthers. Benjamin continues to show why he was a first round pick and is developing into a solid #1 option.

Panthers-Ravens-26.jpg

Panthers-Ravens-27.jpg

Cam delivered the ball and a fist bump to a young fan, his trademark. Notice the mask on the fan in the back. A lot of that went on today.

Panthers-Ravens.jpg

There were a few missed opportunites by the Panthers that could have made a real difference in the game. This near end zone interception by DeCoud over Steve Smith for example. Make that play and the momentum swings.

Panthers-Ravens-30.jpg

Cam did all that he could to keep spirits up on the bench, but it seemed like his words fell on deaf ears. The offensive line seemed defeated and lost, not angry and motivated.

Panthers-Ravens-33.jpg

On a lighter note, Ben Jacobs is pretty hilarious on special teams. He always seems to get in an extra shove when the officials aren't looking. The retaliation would have drawn a flag for the Ravens. Veteran move by Jacobs.

Panthers-Ravens-29.jpg

Cam and Benji spoke on the sidelines frequently, trying to get on the same page in an attempt to get any kind of offense going. Benji would explain to Cam how he was being covered, and where to get him the ball next time.

Panthers-Ravens-37.jpg

Charles Johnson was largely invisible once again today.... quite literally. He recorded no tackles or hits on QB. His name doesn't appear on the boxscore. He did have this hurry though.

Panthers-Ravens-40.jpg

Josh Norman was put on Steve Smith after Melvin White "lost his composure" according to Ron Rivera. Norman didn't do much better and frequently needed help bringing Steve down.

Panthers-Ravens-50.jpg

Panthers-Ravens-48.jpg

At the end of the day, Cam was left looking for answers....

Panthers-Ravens-63.jpg

And Rivera looking for butts to chew.

Panthers-Ravens-64.jpg

I cannot help but to think back to training camp. I noticed right away how loose it was. Ron Rivera noticed also. On more than one occasion Rivera gave the team an earful on how their practice and hustle weren't cutting it. I have a feeling Ron is going to be saying the same things tonight.

It will be a long flight home.

There is more on the Cam and Steve Smith interactions in the

I'm just in disbelief at how lackluster our dline is playing.  I know Hardy was a huge help, but if CJ is getting most of the attention now, guys like Short, Star and Dwan should be getting pressure.  Flacco was nearly untouched in the pocket today and (as opposed to Ben last week) was throwing the ball down the field.

Archived