• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone in the IT biz?

shinner

I started out of the navy with "electronics" experience, started getting into computers because they interfaced with the equipment I serviced, and built my own computers to understand how they work.

You may be able to convince a copier repair outfit you know what you are doing, and get experience, and the hell out of there, as soon as you get your Cisco cert...

You may be able to convince a copier repair outfit you know what you are doing, and get experience, and the hell out of there, as soon as you get your Cisco cert...

I need a better "in the mean time" job than that...I have a family to support. But I get yer point!

From what youve said in this thread I would suggest you chase the MCSA/SE (I think they are MCITP:SA/EA these days).

That would be all of this?

Windows Server

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

Exam 70-640

Exam 70-642

Exam 70-643

plus either Exam 70-620 or Exam 70-624

and Exam 70-647

MCITP: Server Administrator

Exam 70-640

Exam 70-642

Exam 70-646

While you're doing that, get yourself some salvage machines and set up a full MS domain at home with a couple servers and workstations. Putting a Linux box on there wouldn't hurt.

Hmm....I have about 5 empty cases in the basement. Actually some probably still have outdated mobos and such in them.

My wife will think I've lost my mind, hehe. Right now I have 12 devices on my network....if I tell her I want to add a few more, oh boy!

Probably better to set up a whole new network though for messing with, right?

http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com

This should help you get to know your future business a bit better.

What if I'm not really into playing Halo though? :)

As someone who runs an IT Dept and hires IT professionals I dont hire people without certs. No degree? I don't care. No certs? You don't even get a phone call.

Its not that I have an overwhelming confidence in the certs, quite the opposite is true. A+, MCP, CCNA, MCSE, BFD! Most of that sh*t is basically useless one you're faced with a domain controller that took a crap on the network or an application server that thought it got sick days. Its that it demonstrates a dedication to their career and expanding their base of knowledge. I need to know that when my guys go home they are doing things to stay abreast of whats new and hot. I can train a middle school drop out to be an MS Exchange admin IF they have a real passion for technology (read: they are a geek/nerd). Certs are the best gauge of that IMO.

shinner, LM said this is as on point as it gets, she fully agrees. I showed her this thread to give her a bit more insight...

Its interesting to read Inimicus's perspective on IT, which seems to be a bit more from the hardware/network setup realm. IT is such a broad term that can be applied to many different areas of technology. Personally from my side of the house as far as IT is concerned, its more about having the logic and problem solving skills to meet the demands of your various business requests. All I had was my degree coming out of school but I've worked my way up from being a basic analyst (excel sheets, requirements documentation, ect.) to doing full on development work. Almost all of what I work with now I've had zero training in and kind of picked it up on the fly. Once you've learned basic computer logic and programming, every other language/programming software product is just another derivative with slightly different naming or functionality. It all can be picked up with relative ease if given a little time and a reference manual.

You wouldnt need to get the EA to begin with but get the SA and have one of the EA tests under your belt.

thanks.....

shinner, LM said this is as on point as it gets, she fully agrees. I showed her this thread to give her a bit more insight...

she took a look at my current resume, reworked it a bit and gave me some suggestions. thanks for the help!

Once you've learned basic computer logic and programming, every other language/programming software product is just another derivative with slightly different naming or functionality.

Programming def ain't my thang....I zipped through BASIC (like everyone else) and then bombed on COBOL and PASCAL. I've cobbled together some basic web pages with ColdFusion and even less with SQL, but I'm FAR from any level of proficient or workable. I'd hate to BS my way into that sorta job and then be under the pressure of a deadline when I wouldn't know what to do other than pick up a book or search the net for a solution. I think I'm better off sticking to hardware and system config type stuff.

I'd listen to Inimicus on this one, what he says makes a lot more sense. I compare development to IT work like a auto engineer to a auto mechanic. One creates and the other fixes. It makes sense to me that a certification would be more valuable than a degree. If you can learn a certain technology and learn it well you can get a lot of mileage from it. A degree is more valuable for development because it's more abstract and teaches you fundamentals that are universal, but the downside is you learn almost nothing that's practical. Either way, experiences trumps them both.

But certainly don't judge programming from BASIC, COBOL and PASCAL. Those are languages developed in the 60s. Learn Java or a .NET language like C# to gauge if it's something you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...

Been in IT for a decade---it's tough to get in with no experience. We used to call the guys who went to school with no work history "paper techs". You don't have to be a nerd to be successful---I don't come home and geek out on my PC and neither do the folks I work with---you just have to have an "in" and be willing to stay on top of what is going on. I'm in data collection---a small niche industry that pays very well, but I also paid my dues to get here. There is no quick and easy road. There were 126 applicants for my first job.

With all that being said my advice to you would be to nix the IT idea and go with healthcare. I don't mean to sound like a wiseass, but I've got a friend with certs, college education, and years of experience that has been looking for a job since February. It's not easy like it was in the late 90's. If you do decide to roll the dice then look into programming---there are a whole lot more entry-level opportunities.

Just my .02

Archived