• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone in the IT biz?

shinner

So....thinking about what I am going to do once I get off of worker's comp and expecting that the industry I worked in either won't have me or won't have anything available, I've been thinking about doing something else.

Thought about web design as I've done 4 or 5 sites on a volunteer basis but I really don't have any graphic design background so I'm limited in how purty I can make a site look.

The local community college sent out their fall catalog and I was looking at the various IT programs. While the descriptions are clear enough, I'm not sure which one I would or should look into. They offer the standard MCSA and MCSE but also a CompTIA A+. Description says Microsoft views a CompTIA cert as equivalent of passing the MCSA elective exam. The CompTIA A+ class costs $2700 while the MCSA is $5300 (MCSE is $3900). If I were to take any of these I would most likely have to put the cost on a VISA.

So who has the 411 on this? Help a broke and battered brotha out...

I'd shoot for MSCE. A+ isn't that big anymore, especially since it's a one time test and you have it forever. MSCE is worth the money.

IT isn't the boom it once was though. With the job market, less IT jobs, and more outsourcing it's harder to get in than it was late 90's etc. But like anything if you work at it it'll pay off.

Thanks for the info....not looking forward to putting so much on a credit card but I don't have a whole lot of options.

I do have quite a few contacts in data centers around northern VA so I could probably at least give them a call and see if they know of available jobs. Some are at server farms and some run their own data centers. I was already thinking of giving them a call just to see if they were looking for any maintenance guys (shift baby-sitters).

Thanks for the info....not looking forward to putting so much on a credit card but I don't have a whole lot of options.

I do have quite a few contacts in data centers around northern VA so I could probably at least give them a call and see if they know of available jobs. Some are at server farms and some run their own data centers. I was already thinking of giving them a call just to see if they were looking for any maintenance guys (shift baby-sitters).

There is a tax credit for this year and next year on tuition and books. You get 100% back up to $2000.00 and 25% after that up to getting back a max of $2400.00. You can be part time. Look into it and that should help some on the finances.

As a developer I can't comment with complete confidence, but in general I think certifications are crap. Getting a certification demonstrates you know a particular technology. But the industry moves so fast that the ability to keep up is far more important - that's why experience is so important. It's a massive catch-22 and it sucks donkey balls.

If you know you can get a job with a certification then go for it. I'd try to pull whatever strings to have to get experience first though. The IT guy at my old job had zero certifications, he was a friend of the systems admin.

As a developer I can't comment with complete confidence, but in general I think certifications are crap. Getting a certification demonstrates you know a particular technology. But the industry moves so fast that the ability to keep up is far more important - that's why experience is so important. It's a massive catch-22 and it sucks donkey balls.

If you know you can get a job with a certification then go for it. I'd try to pull whatever strings to have to get experience first though. The IT guy at my old job had zero certifications, he was a friend of the systems admin.

I'll second that. Unfortunately getting in the door isn't so much about what acronymns you can put on your resume as the contacts you have to get you on the inside. Once someone knows that you can adapt and take on the ever changing technology landscape with aplomb, you're good as gold. As can be said with any job, network, network, network so you can get some doors open to you.

That said, it certainly is important to be at least seemingly knowledgeable about the position you would want to apply for. If getting a certain certifcation would help you in that area then it's money well spent and definitely can't hurt your cause. Like the quoted post above said though, don't count on a certain certification equaling an instant hire unless said job is specifically asking for that cert. Good luck!

You gotta start somewhere, and classes/certs are as good as anywhere.

I'd look into database admin, IT security (big!) or networking - the Cisco cert seems to carry a little more weight than the Microsoft certs; as it's perceived as tougher to get and more techie.

Interpersonal skills, time management and following procedures type stuff are just as important as computer skills in the corporate IT world IMHO.

That's well advanced though Deac...I was just looking into it. According to the one site I was looking at, you should have 5 yrs exp in IT security. Hell, I don't have a single piece of paper indicating that I have formal training in any aspect of IT.

I need a sort of "guide to changing careers during middle-age after spending 20+ years in a different field" type of thing. :)

BTW....CISSP looks tough! Well done.

Thinkin' I should just look into a CompTIA A+ to start. I've built enough computers and my own home network with multiple PCs and even a media server that I should be able to pass it without too much trouble.

A+ isn't that hard, you have to memorize the official names of things even if you know what they do etc. If you are getting certs, I would stick with MSCE and then Cisco (Cisco huge). Thing about A+ is once you get it, you have it, and that's why it's not that HUGE anyway. CISCO only lasts for so long I believe.

If I were getting started in the IT field I would look to gear more towards a network security route...that field is only going to grow and grow and won't be outsourced as readily overseas like many of the app dev jobs.

Cripes am I confused :)

Only thing I think I'm sure on is that I need to establish some sort of foundation (A+, CCENT, etc) before I should even be thinking about MCSE, MCSA, CCNA or security stuff.

I am basically starting out on the ground floor here. The only thing I really have going for me is that I have over 20 years experience troubleshooting and repairing various UPS systems (some with networking capabilities that had needed troubleshooting...generally came down to incorrect configurations resulting in no operation or conflicts with other devices). What I know about computers and networking comes from building my own PCs and setting up my own network and server. IOW not a damn thing that says I really know what I'm doing. I don't think that's gonna wow anyone looking to hire IT work.

Archived