• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke alludes to the run gaps

Jeremy Igo

From what I think I read a few days ago, that was Luke's assigned gap and Harper was a free-roamer whose job it was to diagnose the play and pick which gap needed filling.

To Harpers defense Luke seemed to be in the gap up the middle and then he bit on the fake by Bell. Once he bit he got swallowed behind the block. When Harper saw Luke on the inside gap he committed to filling the gap on the left then Luke bit on the fake as I mentioned opening up the hole. I know we all love our middle linebacker but that play looked like Luke's fault to me.

Regardless they have to work those problems out.

What gaps? All I remember was 2 DTs getting shoved 5 yards back into Kuechly and Davis while the Steelers backs slow played the defense and went opposite side Kuechly chose.

A RB should never be able to slow play the LBs like that if you have penetration from the DTs and containment coming down the line from the DE. There was neither in the second half of that game. Our DEs outside of Charles Johnson (who is struggling at the moment) suck at containing down the line (This is what Hardy was so good at on run defense) and the DTs could not penetrate their assigned gap in that second half. Now the Steelers got away with pulling DTs to the ground, but the DTs need to power through the gap and at least blow up the blocking if they are getting taken down by the OL UFC style.

I've been seeing a trend by most NFL teams that get punched in the mouth one week. They come out and Crush their next opponent. Baltimore vs Cincy, Baltimore comes out next week and Crushes Shittsburgh. Shitsburgh then comes out and man handles us....so that can only mean one pissed off Panther team is going to crush it's next opponent. Everything goes around full circle I suppose. 

I've been seeing a trend by most NFL teams that get punched in the mouth one week. They come out and Crush their next opponent. Baltimore vs Cincy, Baltimore comes out next week and Crushes Shittsburgh. Shitsburgh then comes out and man handles us....so that can only mean one pissed off Panther team is going to crush it's next opponent. Everything goes around full circle I suppose. 

Yep...we crushed the Lions, they came out and whooped on the Packers.

I think we would have lost to Tampa without Luke's forced fumble and pass defense causing the early interception. I also think the Detroit game would have been much closer without Kueckly's playmaking so I have no qualms. He is human.

He is NOT.

He's a beast, especially when he is fueled by his past mistake.

What gaps? All I remember was 2 DTs getting shoved 5 yards back into Kuechly and Davis while the Steelers backs slow played the defense and went opposite side Kuechly chose.

A RB should never be able to slow play the LBs like that if you have penetration from the DTs and containment coming down the line from the DE. There was neither in the second half of that game. Our DEs outside of Charles Johnson (who is struggling at the moment) suck at containing down the line (This is what Hardy was so good at on run defense) and the DTs could not penetrate their assigned gap in that second half. Now the Steelers got away with pulling DTs to the ground, but the DTs need to power through the gap and at least blow up the blocking if they are getting taken down by the OL UFC style.

There were lots of plays where the DTs got penetration and Bell simply went through the open hole as our LBs jumped into gaps.

Luke addressed it before the game that they had to becareful and not do what they ended up doing bc of Bell's style.

Archived