• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kawann Short may be our best defensive lineman

Jeremy Igo

I was so pissed Monday morning that I deleted the game off my DVR in disgust or I would re-watch and try to see what was going on.

I wonder how much of a role Mitchell played in helping the Steelers figure out our game plan and tendencies?

Ha! I deleted my copy Sunday night as well.

my take on it is this: if Star and KK are the top 2 DT's, then it is best to always have at least one of them in the game at a time. So pair Star with Cole in anticipation of runs and KK with DE in later downs for passing.

I agree for the most part but I think if they are the best DT's on the team they should also get 60 to 65 percent of the snaps with that rotation you mentioned in mind. Let's face it we will probably have 2 new DT on the team next year.

I think our DT's are beasts too, I'm curious as to why Pittsburgh had so much success running on us.

I'm sure some of it was Bell's wait and slash style, but there seemed to be large holes in our D line a lot.

Was it the D line getting pushed around or the LB'ers not filling those holes? Or both?

Both. I was impressed with Pouncey and Decastro.

Was it the D line getting pushed around or the LB'ers not filling those holes? Or both?

In all seriousness, I've noticed a lot of teams running and unbalanced o-line counter. It seems to screw up a lot of defensive plays and responsibilities.

I saw the Colts tearing the Bears up with it a few weeks ago.

I think it makes it particularly hard for 4-3 defenses who shift to strong sides and leave most of their players on one side of the ball.

I really like Cole. He played 29 snaps, 21 one of which were running plays. They use him early in the game where the offenses try to establish the run. Keeps the pass rushing guys like Kawann and Edwards fresh for later in the game. Pretty ingenious really.

I love seeing Star and Cole out there in the interior together. Its a nightmare for larger backs who want to run up the gut.

that 81 yard run by Bell, KK was at the 1 and Star was at the 3, and both had occupied their blockers for the LBs to make a play. Star was even doubled, so no steeler OL could get to the 2nd level, but LB play really hurt the defense sunday night. it is very smart to give KK most of the reps, because he creates nothing but havoc in the middle. 

that 81 yard run by Bell, KK was at the 1 and Star was at the 3, and both had occupied their blockers for the LBs to make a play. Star was even doubled, so no steeler OL could get to the 2nd level, but LB play really hurt the defense sunday night. it is very smart to give KK most of the reps, because he creates nothing but havoc in the middle. 

As weird as it is to say, I believe Luke was at fault on that run... he went outside instead of inside and Bell had a huge hole to run thru with no one to even touch him.

Archived