• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kawann Short may be our best defensive lineman

Jeremy Igo

As mentioned earlier, starting doesn't matter, it's number of snaps. Cole starts and plays on downs that have a higher tendency to be run plays. Short is more of a penetrating interior pass rush type and as such, he is used on more obvious passing downs. He probably could be an every down DT if needed, but I'm 100% on board with his current usage pattern. Keeps everyone fresher.

Thing is, he's better all around than Colin even against the run. Colin last game took up blockers, but was also easily moved out of position. You can't easily move Short, as he's showing this year

I think our DT's are beasts too, I'm curious as to why Pittsburgh had so much success running on us.

I'm sure some of it was Bell's wait and slash style, but there seemed to be large holes in our D line a lot.

Was it the D line getting pushed around or the LB'ers not filling those holes?  Or both?

Over-pursuit by the LBs. Bell would basically wait for them to run by, then take off. Their offensive scheme is such that, I think, they pick a specific spot to run through. Bell kinda idles until it opens up, then hauls butt.

I think our DT's are beasts too, I'm curious as to why Pittsburgh had so much success running on us.

I'm sure some of it was Bell's wait and slash style, but there seemed to be large holes in our D line a lot.

Was it the D line getting pushed around or the LB'ers not filling those holes?  Or both?

I think they just had a good scheme against us. I don't think there are many ways to scheme around our D Line successfully, but Todd Haley found one. He used their aggressiveness against them. If we didn't have such great defensive coaching I'd be worried about other teams copying it, but I feel like with the players and coaches we have, our defense will seal the line back up and it'll be nearly impossible to run on us no matter what the scheme going forward.

Archived