• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A little Cam Newton praise....

Jeremy Igo

I cringe when I see those stats about Cam being hit more than twice as much as the second most QB. And Sunday night proved it has little to do with his playing style.

yea a lot of them werent major.  just think of all the defenders that have bounced off of him while running those first few years.  he is our best short yardage back, especially now with Tolbert out.  You can easily say 3 guys hit him to some extent on every run.  at his current state of health, every hit looks dangerous.

I cringe when I see those stats about Cam being hit more than twice as much as the second most QB. And Sunday night proved it has little to do with his playing style.

How does it prove that?  Cam Newton has rushed for over 25 touchdowns in his short career.  On most  of them, he didn't walk untouched into the endzone.  His refusal to go down on third and short runs.  All of that counts when tallying up hits.  ESPN  just skewed it to look like he was getting killed.  Before the travesty of this o-line, Cam was not getting beat up and teams didn't tee off on him on the regular.  That is one reason he hasn't missed a game until this year.  He got beat up Sunday, but don't cringe when seeing skewed stats.  Cringe when seeing a 230lb bull rush our starting left tackle.   

How does it prove that? Cam Newton has rushed for over 25 touchdowns in his short career. On most of them, he didn't walk untouched into the endzone. His refusal to go down on third and short runs. All of that counts when tallying up hits. ESPN just skewed it to look like he was getting killed. Before the travesty of this o-line, Cam was not getting beat up and teams didn't tee off on him on the regular. That is one reason he hasn't missed a game until this year. He got beat up Sunday, but don't cringe when seeing skewed stats. Cringe when seeing a 230lb bull rush our starting left tackle.

Cam got hammered on Sunday. Repeatedly.

Cam got hammered on Sunday. Repeatedly.

I understand this.  But those stats you say are cringe worthy, were compiled with a different line all together and with him running the ball a third of the carries the last few years.  Have you ever seen him take the kind of beating in a game that he did Sunday?  No, so trust your eyes more than ESPN stats.

Anderson got sacked once against Tampa.  So can you really pin this on the O-Line?  I know Tampa's pass rush isn't that great but they had Gerald McCoy that game and are they really that much worse than the Steelers D-Line? Compared to Cam, Anderson has seemed quicker and more decisive with his throws which reduces hits and sacks.  Cam missed a lot of practice time with his ankle surgery and rib injury.  Anderson got the reps with the first team and it's showed so far during the games.

Edit - not that Cam hasn't played well, but he definitely holds the ball longer than Anderson, which leads to more hits.

It's kind of a catch 22 but ultimately it's Shula's design. Yes he has the extra blockers stay in to help because the line is so bad but he does it because he's intent on forcing the issue on downfield passing instead of allowing a safety outlet for Cam. The extra blocker and a checkdown route both serve similar purposes - attempting to neutralize the pass rush. It's just that using an extra blocker limits the options for the play.

I think this has some merit, but I wanted to address the bolded sentence.

We need more quick passes, a lot more, just to keep the chains moving, but there are some issues with that.

Neither of our RB's are shifty, short "touch" passes are not Cam's strong suit, and we don't have any speedsters for mis direction.  Maybe Philly will come along and help there, but we are a little limited.

All goes back to Beason, Hurney, DWill, and Stew.

I am so tired of people here continually saying this. Why are you so certain that we are sending him out there injured with no regard for long term consequences? We sat him week 1, and I have confidence Rivera will put in DA whenever necessary to protect Cam's health, but please, have a little faith in our coaching, training and medical staff. Watching on tv, we don't know what's going on, so please don't try to say he isn't healthy enough to play when all evidence from the coaches and trainers (namely that he's actually in the game) is to the contrary.

This is our franchise quarterback. Please think before you try to claim you know more than the experts who have all the information.

He may have been fit enough to start, and his ankle/ribs in ok condition, but he took a number of hits on Sunday. He even rolled his ankle IIRC.

Ignoring the Cam vs DA "who's better" debate I wouldn't start Cam next game if the chances are we'll only be taking him out before the end. We've got some potentially bruising games coming up now.

so you are claiming he never has a check down receiver? because there is a ton of film that would say otherwise. only a passer forces a pass, not sure how someone up in a box can be forcing a pass downfield.

I'm not claiming never but it's more than 50% of the time. You say the tape says otherwise but if you actually look at the tape you'll see that more often than not there is no checkdown route.

Cam has got to be the most undermined QB in the NFL right now. Not only are the fans turning ever mistake he makes into proof that he'll never be good enough, they sit and expect way more from him than the other 10 guys on the field. He epitomizes the endless struggles that Black QB faces in the NFL, even to this day. Even Russell Wilson gets knock down a peg when those in the media compare him to Luck, so they can continue to push the lies about QBs and their abilities.

Truth is, a QB is only as good as those around him. Everyone knows that, so why does the script change when the color of the QB changes or when our media wants to push their preferred?

All u keep hearing is how talented Cam is and how much the team can utilize his talents but he will never be good enough because he throws as many long balls as Bree's, Peyton and even the new chosen white hero, Luck. Oh yes, and he will never be as good in the pocket as them either. Give him the weapons they have and stop undermining him and then we'll see.

What r u folks afraid of? To admit that u were wrong?

Archived