• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

October 19th 2003

teeray

we had won what, 13 of the last 14 games going into the steelers matchup?

law of averages dictate you're gonna poo the bed at some point. most of the plays that iced us were flukes: the 80-yard run where luke picked the wrong hole, the ST fumble, the ST offside that gave PIT a fresh set of downs and a touchdown. this game is an aberration, a statistical anomaly. yes, we got exposed in a variety of areas, but for the most part these are the same guys that got us a 13-1 record since last october, and you could make the case we're a stronger roster for the last two of them than the first twelve.

we'll be alright.

Just putting this out there for a little perspective:

October 19th, 2003.

Who can forget that day? As a team the Panthers were hot, playing well with a vaunted defense with perhaps the best front 7 in football. We were so confident that Kris Jenkins was wearing a Miami Dolphins jersey that week, as a nod that we might be coming for their undefeated season.

Into Charlotte strode the Tennessee Titans, a good team; but also a team that an average Colts defense had held to 7 points in a week 2 blowout loss and Steve McNair had recently dislocated a finger on his throwing hand. Many fans figured "if they only put up 7 points on Indy then we very well may just shut these fools out"

In case you forgot this game, spoiler alert: we didn't shut them out.

Nope. By the 11:00 mark of the 4th quarter we were down 30-3. We scored a couple late, meaningless TDs, but when the final horn sounded the Titans won that game 37-17.

Around 3 months later we were a whisker away from being Super Bowl Champions.

There are a lot of parallels between what happened that game at BOA stadium in 2003 and what happened last night.

However, that game did not define the 2003 Panthers, and this one game won't define the 2014 Panthers

I heart Teeray's Panther logic. We will get better no doubt. O btw poor Ravens, we are going take your money and eat your lunch. Steve Smith you are on call bro, we are coming!

They haven't made the playoffs since 2011 and finished 8-8 the past two years with an aging roster. They are in decline.

THey have won 8 of their last 11 so maybe they are now getting some of that old man strength ;)

Besides, we beat ourselves more than Pitt out played us.

Can you go back and check the injuries that happened in that game ? I doubt that every RB on our team and our best LB were out for the next few weeks after that game.

I could but I won't. I don't like searching for reasons to be scared. I search for reasons to believe.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.

We had a difficult game, but we are 2-1 and still have an opportunity to have a special season.

Therealrealist

I could but I won't. I don't like searching for reasons to be scared. I search for reasons to believe.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.

We had a difficult game, but we are 2-1 and still have an opportunity to have a special season.

Therealrealist

Sounds good. I respect your optimism. I'm more of a realist and realistically we are facing some tough times ahead. I hope we win all 8 of these next 8 games, but its not realistic with the injuries we have on this team.

good points, Tee.

Only issue is, I think the guys on the 2003 teams had been around for awhile for the most part...  Only questions were on offense really with Jake and SD. 

This year, outside of Cam, Olsen, and KB, we have millions of questions on offense.  The line sucks, RB decline/injuries, all WRs not named Kelvin Benjamin.  On the defensive side, we know our front seven was incredible coming in, BUT the big question still was the secondary, especially the safeties.  All of those spots looked absolutely horrible last night.  HORRIBLE.

So, we really won't know until next week whether all of our flaws were completely exposed and those concerns regarding those issues/positions were really valid, OR was it an aberration?  There are just so many unknowns three games into a season...  The sample size is so small, it's tough to know what exactly you have.  Not to mention, what that game may have done to confidence last night...  I really hope we are the team we saw the first two weeks and can overcome our deficiencies and NOT the team we saw last night.

Archived