• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opponent backed up to their own end zone... then huge run.

Jeremy Igo

Anyone who has video: I challenge you to look at those plays and tell me that there wasn't blatant holding. The holding should have been called because that's what kept the hole wide open.

Davis still overshot into the wrong gap. Yes he got held but he overplayed it. Holes was there regardless. Davis might of limited it to a 10 yard gash though

I will say Le'Veon Bell will be the toughest back we're going to face this year.  Marshawn Lynch is a strong guy, but he is not as agile as Bell.  Taking out backs like Lynch is actually our specialty.

The McCoy/Sproles combo could also be problematic, but Sproles never hurt us too bad in NO so maybe not. Hope not.  Watching Bell run reminded me of all the times Forte has had his way with us.  For whatever reason, that style of RB seems to have our number.

wait till we play the eagles with mccoy. that team is the steelers offense on crack. we need to find ways to stop that type of O

They let DeSean Jackson walk and they're still putting up 30+ points a game. Few teams have managed to "stop" that O.

We are going to have to put up at least 20 points if we hope to beat the Eagles. Better get some OL help now...

The McCoy/Sproles combo could also be problematic, but Sproles never hurt us too bad in NO so maybe not. Hope not.  Watching Bell run reminded me of all the times Forte has had his way with us.  For whatever reason, that style of RB seems to have our number.

Oh crap, we play the Eagles this year?  McCoy might put an even bigger hurting on us than Bell, with his ability to cut and change directions.  The only thing that will stop backs like this is if we gang tackle them.  Come at them from all directions.  It's over if only one guy is coming at him to make a tackle.

Oh crap, we play the Eagles this year?  McCoy might put an even bigger hurting on us than Bell, with his ability to cut and change directions.  The only thing that will stop backs like this is if we gang tackle them.  Come at them from all directions.  It's over if only one guy is coming at him to make a tackle.

Only difference is the interior of the Eagles line is not as solid as the Steelers, and they don't have an overly fast/shifty WR that will need some extra help over the top.

Only difference is the interior of the Eagles line is not as solid as the Steelers, and they don't have an overly fast/shifty WR that will need some extra help over the top.

Macklin got a little pep in his step.  Yet the Eagles do have some problems on their line, and we will have Alexander back when we play them.  Hopefully that and the team learning from their mistakes, will prove to be more than a match for the Iggles.

yea bell is a strange runner. it's almost like he just stops and looks then bursts through a hole.

if you think last night was ugly, wait till we play the eagles with mccoy. that team is the steelers offense on crack. we need to find ways to stop that type of O

Heh, great minds think alike.

And they've all been right up the gut too, through gaping holes you could drive a truck through.  It would be one thing if a speedy runner got some good edge blocks and turned it up the sideline for a huge gain.  Going up the middle untouched like that is hard to fathom, against our interior D line and LB speed.

An aggressive defense is always going to be a 'live by the sword, die by the sword' proposition. You can't take the aggression out without losing what makes it work.

As to that play, I don't blame it on the scheme. I blame it on Luke.

He normally has very good instincts. Last night, he just guessed wrong, and it cost us.

It has happened twice in three games and is now officially a huge issue. It happened in Tampa and it happened last night.

The Panthers are staying extremely aggressive, trying for a safety or at least pinning their punter in the back of the end zone. Bringing their safeties up, leaving no one out there to chase down a runner if (when) one breaks free.

The problem is, from what I can tell, its that the linebackers are playing so far up in the gaps at the snap they lose sight of where the runner is. A patient runner can then pick out where the backers are absent, and its a home run.

Should the Panthers back off a bit, worry more about just stopping a first down and not pinning the offense back?

well then why say something to Ron Rivera about it if you know what the problem is. I'm sure he would love to be taught how to run a defense by the camera guy

Anyone who has video: I challenge you to look at those plays and tell me that there wasn't blatant holding.  The holding should have been called because that's what kept the hole wide open.

LOL! No buddy I challenge you to watch our O-Line, especially late in the game and find plays where we WEREN'T holding anyone. The refs tried their best to give Cam mercy.

Archived