• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opponent backed up to their own end zone... then huge run.

Jeremy Igo

It has happened twice in three games and is now officially a huge issue. It happened in Tampa and it happened last night.

The Panthers are staying extremely aggressive, trying for a safety or at least pinning their punter in the back of the end zone. Bringing their safeties up, leaving no one out there to chase down a runner if (when) one breaks free.

The problem is, from what I can tell, its that the linebackers are playing so far up in the gaps at the snap they lose sight of where the runner is. A patient runner can then pick out where the backers are absent, and its a home run.

Should the Panthers back off a bit, worry more about just stopping a first down and not pinning the offense back?

Absolutely. This D is built on not giving up the big plays, and I think it's advantageous to let the front 4 try to make the big play and let the backers fill accordingly. Carolina won the field position battle all year last year by not giving up these types of plays.

hopefully this is just one of those things.  though i will say i remember last season hearing how the team hadn't given up a run of 20+ for weeks and weeks and how the longest run given up all season was around 40 yards.  here we are week 3 and they have given up 50+ to a FB and 80+ last night and blount had at least one of 20+.    

Anyone who has video: I challenge you to look at those plays and tell me that there wasn't blatant holding. The holding should have been called because that's what kept the hole wide open.

Agreed to a degree, but it seems that it's not going to change. Gotta figure something out.

Archived