• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How long is the Huddle gonna defend Shula?

MedellinHeel

The only thing about our offense last year that was efficient was Cam. Cam breaking through tackles and running for the first down. Cam rocketing the ball to Smith on third, and even fourth, and long. Shula had nothing to do with it. By the end of the year we were less efficient, as Smith was getting hurt and Cam was as well.

THIS. Cam WAS our offense. Often, he'd extend drives, despite Shula.

Week 1 Buccs defense was fully healthy, some said here McCoy is best DT in league and we only gave up one sack and David had 7 sacks blitzing last year.  Cam has been sacked 7 times in two games and Pittsburgh is one of the worst defenses in the league going into our game.  The Atlanta thrashing is not the same Tampa team that we beat, they were missing at least 4 starters.  Also, the last two games we havent even managed 100 yards rushing combined.  Now Detroit is a good defense but the Steelers were giving up 174 yards a game.

Cam is one of the most dynamic QB's in the game. 

Not right now he isnt, or even close to that matter.  He has been relatively conservative.  His physical tools throwing the ball may be the best he has been, but he is obviously slowed right now and if that isn't obvious to everyone here, than I have a loss of words.  The pressure he has faced has been ridiculous, especially right up the middle where the strength of the oline is supposed to be.  Then when they actually do protect, he hasnt stepped up in the pocket probably because he doesnt have the confidence in those guys to block, and thats when the outside rushers have gotten around the T's.  It's a team sport and not every sack is solely on the lineman.

It is much more enlightening to look at per drive statistics than overall yardage and scoring.

Just because an offense might run up yardage and points because they playing fast paced and running up snaps and possessions, doesn't mean they are running a better more efficient offense.

I don't really have an opinion on pace one way or the other. I enjoy both Stanford's offense and Oregon's. Both are effective and both teams are hard to beat when run efficiently.

So when I look at our per possession stats on offense they look pretty darn good. We can improve, but our offense was good last season.

It is al about efficiency. And we have been efficient and mostly avoided turnovers and the result has been a 14-5 record and a statistically improved defense. Yes Luke and Star have a lot, probably even more, to do with improving the defense, but our offense under Shula deserves some of the credit of our impressive improvement on defense as well

It is much more enlightening to look at per drive statistics than overall yardage and scoring.

Just because an offense might run up yardage and points because they playing fast paced and running up snaps and possessions, doesn't mean they are running a better more efficient offense.

I don't really have an opinion on pace one way or the other. I enjoy both Stanford's offense and Oregon's. Both are effective and both teams are hard to beat when run efficiently.

So when I look at our per possession stats on offense they look pretty darn good. We can improve, but our offense was good last season.

It is al about efficiency. And we have been efficient and mostly avoided turnovers and the result has been a 14-5 record and a statistically improved defense. Yes Luke and Star have a lot, probably even more, to do with improving the defense, but our offense under Shula deserves some of the credit of our impressive improvement on defense as well

just stop trying T.

these knuckleheads won't listen

Anderson is a vet. He gets the ball out much quicker than Cam because his is not a mobile QB. Cam holds the ball much longer. That is a fact.

Cam should develop in the area every year.

Biggest issue with the offense is our inability to effectively run the ball. It is as simple as that.

Holding the ball too long is an issue all young QBs go through. And they do usually get better as they gain experience. Even the ones that are greats now dealt with it early in their careers

I agree that Cam will get better at this as time goes on, but he is doing fine as a passer. He is a more dynamic as a playmaker when he is healthy and can scramble but Cam has played well enough this season to win with. We just have to execute better and not give up 30 points and 450 yards on defense. And 90% of the time our defense won't play like that

I just finished watching a good amount of offensive plays from the 2012 season. Under Chud, Cam was getting the ball out alot quicker because of the routes WR's were running. Some of you keep blaming Cam for hanging onto the ball when really it isn't his fault. NFL Gamepass has serious been a great purchase, it allows you to see the whole field on any play.

On one of Cam's sacks Sunday, Shula has Philly doing a double move from the slot lined up next to KB who's doing a straight go, Cam didn't have much chance. When the play call is a quick slant or something Cam has no issues unloading it. Given our offensive line, Chud may actually be better suited for us.

I'm by no means a Chud fan and it was a breath of fresh air for me when we finally let him go. However, Chud was criticized alot for not utilizing our run game, well we have no run game now. Chud was capable of drawing up plays to get the ball out of Newton's hand quick which would benefit us more so today.

One thing has been constant throughout all of the plays I've watched recently. Give Cam a clean pocket and he'll hurt you regardless of who is WR's are. Just seeing guys like Louis Murphy, Naanee (2011) and Armanti Edwards is a reminder of what little they've really done to give Newton. Atleast this season they've given him some vet's as opposed to those 2 or LaFell and Ginn.

Also, it'd be interesting too see now that Cam has matured as a passer and the game has slowed down a bit for him how he'd perform in a chud like offense.

I WANT HATCHER DEAD, I WANT HIS WHOLE FAMILY..DEAD!!! AND IF YOU CAN'T KILL HIM, I GO KILL HIM...THEN I GO KILL YOU.

Sorry but something about this thread made say that, Imo Shula is not the problem. It's easy to sit and watch the defense win the battle on any given play then yell omg that was a stupid play Shula. I'm not telling anyone they can't dislike Shula but give him break, we went 12-4 and we had the best record in the league since week 6 of last season. It's also ok to just give the other team credit when they play well and make our guys look bad. #KEEP POUNDING

I dont think there's anyone on the huddle that thinks Shula is solely to blame for our mess of an offense. 

What people (I) am saying is

Shula is not a good, great, or elite OC. 

He does us no favors with the pieces that we have. 

At absolute best he is an average playcaller. 

Cam is one of the most dynamic QB's in the game. 

By default since Shula is not a great OC he needs to be replaced / upgraded. 

I don't think Shula is elite by any stretch of the imagination.  I do think that he runs an offense in the style that Rivera likes.

Like him or not, he is 14-5 over the last 19 regular season games....and that is with a below avg OL and WR corps

Holding the ball too long is an issue all young QBs go through. And they do usually get better as they gain experience. Even the ones that are greats now dealt with it early in their careers

I agree that Cam will get better at this as time goes on, but he is doing fine as a passer. He is a more dynamic as a playmaker when he is healthy and can scramble but Cam has played well enough this season to win with. We just have to execute better and not give up 30 points and 450 yards on defense. And 90% of the time our defense won't play like that

I agree with you 100%....which is why I said that Cam will continue to develop in this area.  EVERY young QB goes through a learning curve.

OL was atrocious.....we could not run the ball...had inopportune penalties....muffed a punt for a TD....got gashed numerous times on defense.  These were all the reasons that we lost that game....and NO we would not have won the game with Anderson under center (and we both will agree on that).

Archived