• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How long is the Huddle gonna defend Shula?

MedellinHeel

Stats can be manipulated to one's liking. Can you ignore the fact that Shula offense last year was:

5th - % of drives that led to 1st down or TD

11th - Offensive Yards Per Drive -

10th - Offensive Points per drive -

Looks consistently good.

His offense averaged the 7th fewest turnovers per drive

On a per drive basis.....our O was solid last year. The fact bad offense had more attempts and thus gained more drive attempts with their ineffective offenses.....resulted in more raw yards.

look at Washington's O last year vs us. We were noticeably better on O. An efficient machine while they were a joke. They ranked higher in total yards though

Yeah. People are missing the point that an OC is supposed to compensate for a shitty O-line, not play into the hands of the defense.

That's one of my main points of contention with Shula and his supporters. You have to be able to adjust to the ebb and flow of the game. When Shula and our offense gets in trouble, they just get deeper and deeper into trouble because of a loack of situational awareness.

Not putting 100% of the blame on Shula doesn't make people "supporters". Like others have said, he's not the best but his hands are tied.

Not putting 100% of the blame on Shula doesn't make people "supporters". Like others have said, he's not the best but his hands are tied.

i didn't say that Shula gets 100 percent of the blame, or that not ascribing him 100 percent of the blame makes a person his supporter.  

I questioned Shula's promotion from the very beginning, and he hasn't done anything to make me put the question to rest. His hands may be tied, so to speak, but he still seems incapable of at least attempting to turn lemons into lemonade when his offense and the defense aren't executing under optimal circumstances in my opinion. 

Sometimes even our old grandmothers would be able to take the simplest poo and make it fairly delicious when we got into a pinch.  My Grandmother used to make the hell out of some fish croquettes with fairly inexpensive jack mackerel, or doctor the hell out of some fried liver pudding when the cupboards got bare when I spent a little time with her during summers.  Sometimes you have to be creative, and Shula hasn't shown the ability to be creative on a consistent basis.

The only thing about our offense last year that was efficient was Cam. Cam breaking through tackles and running for the first down. Cam rocketing the ball to Smith on third, and even fourth, and long. Shula had nothing to do with it. By the end of the year we were less efficient, as Smith was getting hurt and Cam was as well.

@DNewtonespn: #Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula says protecting Newton is one reason he hasn't run much. Doesn't say it's only reason.

https://twitter.com/dnewtonespn/status/514145425352183808

So by not running the ball we are protecting Newton, but by calling long drawn out plays that somehow does protect him?

Shula is full of poo

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

If we aren't complaining about Shula, we're complaining about the backs. If not them, the 0-line (and yes, I know they were bad last night).

Other than Cam, I'm sure we'd all agree that most of our best players are on D, specifically the front 7. So maybe, just maybe, instead of going with the same tired "I hate Shula" mantra, we should ask why our defensive stars gave up 454 yards in offense to the Steelers last night.

Take your blinders off.

You people that continue to support Shula are just fooling yourselves. The guy has sucked ass everywhere he has gone. We will not win ANYTHING in the playoffs (that is if we get there) with him calling plays. Blame it on the O-line all you want, but who is the one calling long developing plays knowing his O-line sucks? You see what Todd Haley did yesterday for the Steelers. Quick screens, crossing patterns, drags, just putting Ben in a comfortable position where he doesn't get hit and gets the ball out fast. What does Shula do for his hurt QB? 15 yard outs, 10 yard comeback routes, etc. On run plays, what does he do? Run the ball right up the middle everytime. No misdirections, sweeps, traps, or strech plays. It's a damn joke. The most non-creative O-coordinator.

If we aren't complaining about Shula, we're complaining about the backs. If not them, the 0-line (and yes, I know they were bad last night).

Other than Cam, I'm sure we'd all agree that most of our best players are on D, specifically the front 7. So maybe, just maybe, instead of going with the same tired "I hate Shula" mantra, we should ask why our defensive stars gave up 454 yards in offense to the Steelers last night.

Take your blinders off.

why we would be worried about an aberration? 

i am more worried about the mediocrity of the offense ever since Shula took over. 

not to mention what on shula's resume possessed him to get hired as the OC in the first place. 

You people that continue to support Shula are just fooling yourselves. The guy has sucked ass everywhere he has gone. We will not win ANYTHING in the playoffs (that is if we get there) with him calling plays. Blame it on the O-line all you want, but who is the one calling long developing plays knowing his O-line sucks? You see what Todd Haley did yesterday for the Steelers. Quick screens, crossing patterns, drags, just putting Ben in a comfortable position where he doesn't get hit and gets the ball out fast. What does Shula do for his hurt QB? 15 yard outs, 10 yard comeback routes, etc. On run plays, what does he do? Run the ball right up the middle everytime. No misdirections, sweeps, traps, or strech plays. It's a damn joke. The most non-creative O-coordinator.

Can't claim he has sucked everywhere.

He went 12-4 last year and his offense if compared to the league based on what it did when it actually touched the ball....was top 10ish.

This year....he has a horrific OL, hurt QB, and weak WR corp and people bitch about HIM? Yet we are 2-1.

Archived