• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Week's Winners and Losers according to PFF

Jeremy Igo

Winners:

Greg Olsen

Cam Newton

Ryan Kalil

Jonathan Stewart

Trai Turner

Kawann Short

Bene Benwikere

Luke Kuechly

Thomas DeCoud

Losers:

Kelvin Benjamin (receiving

Ed Dickson (receiving)

Nate Chandler (pass blocking)

Byron Bell  (run blocking)

AJ Klein

Wes Horton

Kony Ealy

Dwan Edwards

Charles Johnson

Mostly Agree or Disagree?

Interesting that the Panthers coaching staff graded KB higher this week than last. Yet, PFF grades him worse. Tells you how much faith to put in PFF.

To be fair, I am almost more willing to believe PFF than what the coaches TELL the media. I cant imagine after a 3 drop game with a holding penalty on a big running play and pretty bad run blocking for a good part of the game that he did better than last week. I can see it as focusing on the good things he did and trying to get him to forget about the mistakes. Because I definitely think that the last 2 drops were because he couldnt stop thinking of the first one.

It was a tough run defense and I'm not saying Stew played poorly.... but with the added touches and with our passing game keeping the linebackers in check I really expected more from him.

I'm starting to get a little bit concerned about Stewart. He hasn't been very good since 2011 (basically when the injury issues starting actually affecting him during the season). Since 2011 (his last healthy season), his stats:

165 carries for 573 yards (3.47 ypc).

Compare that to DeAngelo (moreso the ypc than the absolute carries/yards):

388 carries for 1,652 yards (4.26 ypg)

Behind the same line, DeAngelo averages three quarters of a yard more per carry than Stewart. And this doesn't even mention the fact that DeAngelo has always offered more in the receiving game.

Still early and maybe Stewart just needs to get his sea legs under him after not having played a lot the past few years, so hopefully he can return to his pre-injury form (3,500 rush yards on 725 carries, 4.83 ypc).

To be fair, I am almost more willing to believe PFF than what the coaches TELL the media. I cant imagine after a 3 drop game with a holding penalty on a big running play and pretty bad run blocking for a good part of the game that he did better than last week. I can see it as focusing on the good things he did and trying to get him to forget about the mistakes. Because I definitely think that the last 2 drops were because he couldnt stop thinking of the first one.

The coaches are looking at the big picture.  PFF is only looking at when the ball is coming his way.  The coaches loved what he did catching the ball in week one, but they didn't hide that they were disappointed in some other aspects.  They wanted him to block better and do a better job of selling his routes when the ball likely isn't coming his way.  I'm guessing he did a lot better this week at those aspects.

Archived