• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason Avant on his Touchdown

Jeremy Igo

Jason Avant is quickly becoming one of my favorite Panthers. I cannot recall ever speaking to a more personable player.

In the locker room after the game, he took almost zero credit for his touchdown. "The offensive line did a great job in pass protections all day" Avant remarked. "Great throw by Cam, tried my best to get in, that was it."

jason-avant-panthers.jpg

Avant is also clearly happy to be catching passes from Cam Newton. Newton had an increase in audibles at the line over previous seasons "He got rolling in the second half. We made our adjustments at half time. He did a great job getting us in the right play. That's all you can ask for."

Avant currently has only a one year 1.05 million dollar deal with Carolina. He is an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

Hopefully the Panthers are interested in locking Avant in on a longer term deal. His positive impact both on and off the field are well worth the investment.

You can hear Jason describe his touchdown celebration in the

I would think that extra scratch when C.J restructured would help with players like him.If he keeps producing he may have an extension by the 2nd half of the season.DG knows talent, who to keep and who to let WALK

aka: the whole WR crew from last year

I would really like to see him stick here.

I would rather see a core of reliable veteran receivers stick around for a few years for Cam. Year in and year out with new guys isn't an ideal situation.

Oh I agree. If we can't keep him though, I'd rather it be because someone else dumps money on him.

But yeah, ideally we can convince him to hang around. Both for the good of the team and because he's a good guy to root for.

I would think that extra scratch when C.J restructured would help with players like him.If he keeps producing he may have an extension by the 2nd half of the season.DG knows talent, who to keep and who to let WALK

I am thinking about Decoud too.  He might need to be extended because you see how Pittsburgh did Mitchell.  That break up on the Megatron play looked routine to him. 

If there was any doubt about the value of character guys on your roster that ought to have vanished. Classic character/fundamentally sound/ savvy veteran example in Avant. In certain ways he and Cotchery are alike, and once the chemistry fully develops with Cam, I think folks will be very satisfied with them.

Archived