• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason Avant on his Touchdown

Jeremy Igo

"He didn't catch that ball, the ball caught him". IDR what talking head on what highlight how said it, but he got that right. Reminded me of Denver's famous cross pattern. Elway would put so much heat on a throw that the tip of the ball would leave a cross pattern mark on a guy's hand if he caught it a certain way.

I like Avant.  I just made a post about him yesterday.  But I'd be surprised if he was a Panther next season.  The way veterans have been coming to Carolina and having career years, he might get big money somewhere else.  But then again he's 31 and might want to stay in one place to end his career, and why not do that on a team with a legit shot at a Superbowl?  

Jason Avant is quickly becoming one of my favorite Panthers. I cannot recall ever speaking to a more personable player.

In the locker room after the game, he took almost zero credit for his touchdown. "The offensive line did a great job in pass protections all day" Avant remarked. "Great throw by Cam, tried my best to get in, that was it."

jason-avant-panthers.jpg

Avant is also clearly happy to be catching passes from Cam Newton. Newton had an increase in audibles at the line over previous seasons "He got rolling in the second half. We made our adjustments at half time. He did a great job getting us in the right play. That's all you can ask for."

Avant currently has only a one year 1.05 million dollar deal with Carolina. He is an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

Hopefully the Panthers are interested in locking Avant in on a longer term deal. His positive impact both on and off the field are well worth the investment.

You can hear Jason describe his touchdown celebration in the

It looks like Avant has blue claws on the football with those gloves.  You're not taking that ball away from him!

I feel in my heart that would have been a drop or tip drill interception with Lafell.  I think these sure handed receivers who run crisp routes will help Cam's picks go down this year.

Not sure I would go that far with the first part.

But...that second part? Yeah, that just may be the case.

Archived