• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Along the Sidelines - Lions Edition

Jeremy Igo

The Panthers are 2-0 and appear to be the best of the NFC South. Here is what I saw today "along the sidelines".

First of all, Cam was back to his usual routine. This is a far cry from Tampa Bay when he was not seen pregame whatsoever. Even though I knew he was relatively healthy, seeing him out there doing his jet plane impersonation was much needed confirmation.

Panthers-Lions-4.jpg

Jonathan Stewart replaced Deangelo Williams in the starting lineup. Stewart doesn't have pink dreads, but he does have a nice mouthpiece.

Panthers-Lions-6.jpg

In Greg Hardy's absence, Cam was sure to welcome rookie Kony Ealy to the playing field. This is another ritual of Newton's. He greets defensive players as they exit the tunnel.

Panthers-Lions-7.jpg

Luke Kuechly was again a force to be reckoned with today. He ended the day with 11 tackles.

Panthers-Lions-13.jpg

I still feel Luke's forced fumble that was ruled incomplete was indeed a fumble. Joique Bell appreared to me to be trying to change carrying hands, from his left to his right. The officials saw it a a bobble. I don't agree.

Panthers-Lions-15.jpg

Rivera didn't agree either. I could hear him giving the official "the business" from 20 yards away. Rivera has settled into his challenge responsibilities nicely as a head coach.

Panthers-Lions-16.jpg

I was wondering when we would see the Philly Brown reverse, after seeing it in camp and practices. Brown has enough speed to really get to the outside and make things happen. I thought it was a fantastic run, unfortunately called back by a holding penalty. I have high hopes for Philly.

Panthers-Lions-21.jpg

Brenton Bersin has more receptions than Brandon Lafell, two games into the season. I would just like to point that out to all of the Bersin detractors, you know who you are. His clutch first down today made Charlotte proud.

Panthers-Lions-22.jpg

Although he was not quite as mobile as seasons past, Cam was shifty enough to buy time and get yards when it mattered. He even flashed the trolling Cam smile to the defenders as he made them look silly. Cam is back.

Panthers-Lions-25.jpg

Thomas Davis led the team with 12 tackles today. I caught up with both Davis and Kuechly after the game. More on that later.

Panthers-Lions-28.jpg

Benjamin really impressed me today, and let me tell you why. For a minute he seemed like a rookie receiver. Dropping passes that should have been caught. Many, if not most, rookies would have called it a day at that point. But Kelvin kept at it and persevered.

Panthers-Lions-31.jpg

Of course, the exclamation point on that point was his beauty of a one handed sideline grab for a first down. (Norman looks impressed)

Panthers-Lions-50.jpg

Though Mike Tolbert didn't rack up many yards, his runs did wear down the defense a bit. That is a whole lot of runningback to bring down.

Panthers-Lions-35.jpg

Greg Olsen is headed to a pro bowl this season if he can keep his high performance going. Olsen had a team leading 6 receptions today. Afterwards in the lockeroom, I listened to him speak about his kids and what they are dealing with as a family right now. I cannot imagine continuing to play at such a high level with so much more important things going on at home. Greg truly is an inspiration to fathers everywhere, this one included.

Panthers-Lions-43.jpg

Jason Avant grabbed his first TD as a Panther. I spoke to him about it, and about his celebration. Again, more on that later.

Panthers-Lions-46.jpg

Jonathan Stewart carried the ball only 15 times as a starter. The Lions basically stacked the box and dared the Panthers to win by throwing the ball. They did not believe Cam was healthy enough to do it. They gambled, they lost.

Stewart did get his bell rung well enough to knock his helmet loose.

Panthers-Lions-51.jpg

Afterwards, he found himself in the end zone.

Panthers-Lions-52.jpg

I am pretty sure Trai Turner was far more excited for Stewart's touchdown than Stewart was. Turner being in on such an important run tells you how highly the Panthers staff thinks of the rookie.

Panthers-Lions-53.jpg

Late in the game the refs seemed more anxious to protect Stafford than officiate fairly.

Panthers-Lions-55.jpg

None the less, Mario Addison showed up. His play today had fans asking "Greg Who?" Addison had 2.5 sacks on the day.

Panthers-Lions-48.jpg

Panthers-Lions-57.jpg

He also came close to forcing aand recovering a fumble, as Stafford could only helplessly watch.

Panthers-Lions-58.jpg

As happens in so many games, great players pay their respects to one another. Things get heated on the field sometimes, but its always nice to see the guys show good sportsmanship. You know, the opposite of Tom Brady.

Panthers-Lions-2.jpg

There are many more photos and observations in the All Pro section. If you enjoy these articles and want more, it will only cost you the equivalent of about a good beer a month.

Click Here to sign up as an All-Pro huddler....and help keep this joint thriving!

Thanks Jeremy. Great job as usual.

Did you hear anything about Tolberts injury? Got a little worried when it appeared he was trying to get his pads off and had trouble breathing.

Also, is Cam doing the jet or Superman? Lol ...

I saw Mike in the locker room. He looked normal, was his usual jovial self. I don't think there is much concern

Archived