• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers practice a little line dancing

SpinningPerfect

lenard popes 4.64 is damn impressive, yes its not under 4.5, but he is 6' 7" and was right behind davis in th broad jump and the vert jump. love to snag him in the 2nd, but dont think he is worth a first roundpick with what we need.

Again, Did we throw a lot to Gains and he dropped the ball? I know Mangum dropped several, but did Gains....... The Kid looks pretty good to me.

Plus there are a lot of TE's available in this draft..... Do we need to burn a #1 on an area that is not that weak.

Yeah, Lewis definitely will slip big-time with that time. Davis is out of reach for us, but I like Pope. He's huge, he's relatively quick, he's got the potential to be a big-time playmaker, perhaps even more so than Davis. I know there's a big debate about picking a TE high, but I'd have to think hard if Pope is on the board at #27.

I doubt he will be, though.

No if we can't be assured a starting DT in the second.

Davis IMO would've been a better fit for Wide receiver, and IMO he'd be at the exact same position in the draft, if not higher if he was a wide receiver. His size and speed would make him a lot like T.O. Without the douche bag.

• 3 years later...

(By Charles Chandler, [email protected]) The Carolina Panthers are flip-flopping their defensive ends this week in practice so they can have plenty of options available when the regular season arrives. p/ Julius Peppers spent Wednesday at left end, where he played his first six NFL seasons, and away from the right end spot he held last year. That meant usual left end Tyler Brayton was on the right side.p/ It's something the Panthers have done at times in the past, but appear to be emphasizing more this year under first-year defensive line coach Brian Baker. p/ We're just trying to get used to playing all positions because we know during the course of the year we've got to have depth and versatility at each spot, said Brayton. p/ It's coach Baker's philosophy that we've got to be good at everything we do.p/ During the season, if we want to change sides or try to take advantage of something with Pep, I can go play the right, he can go play the left. We do it not just with me and him, but with everybody.p/ Peppers still figures to play mostly on the right side during the season, but his flexibility will give the Panthers the option of letting rookie Everette Brown play some at right end, his college position, and still have Peppers flanking him.p/ Carolina offensive tackle Jordan Gross said flip-flopping the ends provides benefits for the Panthers' offense and defense.p/ As a tackle (for an opposing team), when you have to prepare for multiple players, you don't get to focus in as much on one guy, he said. So any team that rotates ends definitely makes it a lot harder day (for the opposition).p/ At the same time, it's good for us because if we went against the same style player all camp long, you'd get accustomed to that style and you'd get in a preseason game or the regular season and you'd see something different and it might give you fits. Between all or ends, we've got basically all styles covered and it's nice to practice against.p/span class=icon icon-bullet/span Coach John Fox liked Wednesday's steady rain because it gave them Panthers preparation for inclement weather they may face during the season.p/ Conditions affect the game, said Fox. The more you can simulate in practice, the better. Our guys got a feel for it and I think that's good.p/ span class=icon icon-bullet/span Gross, selected an all-pro last season, said he thinks Brown is off to a good start for the Panthers.p/ I think Brown is going to be really good for us, said Gross. He's a shorter guy. His pad level is great, especially in the passing game. He's caught me underneath my pads a few times, and he's got power with it too.p/ I've been real impressed with him and I think he can contribute right away.p/ Gross also offered some constructiive advice to Brown: Get better at defending the run.p/ If he's going to be an every-down end, he's got to improve with the run game, said Gross. He's not bad, but that's (what) I would say (is) the weak spot.p/span class=icon icon-bullet/span NOTES: Former Redskins and Texas general manager Charley Casserly, now of CBS Sports, visited practice Wednesday. ... Kenneth Moore had two bobbled punts in the morning practice, which may have been weather related. He's competing with Ryne Robinson, Larry Bearvers and Captain Munnerlyn for the punt-returning job. ... Running back Jonathan Stewart, who's been practicing once a day, sat out both practices Wednesday. Team offficials said it was for rest. They're being ultra-careful with his sore ankle/Achilles.

More...

Archived