• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Brown on preparation

Jeremy Igo

Last week I reported Philly Brown was the first player to the practice field. I found him not catching passes, but catching extra punt return reps shot from the punt machine. I wondered if that was the coaches idea, or perhaps his.

"That was me, that was me" Philly told me. "I'm always the guy that believes in extra work. Preparation is what helps you perform well in the game."

Panthers-Bucs-30~0.jpg

Philly Brown did not bobble or drop a punt in his debut. He credits the extra reps.

"The extra reps helped, just trying to adjust to the NFL punters basically. I just want to show my teammates and everyone else that I am a trustworthy punt returner."

An interesting point. The difference between college and pro punters are rarely discussed. The punt machines at practice are able to emulate a booming NFL caliber punts.

It is no secret that I have been pulling for Philly Brown since the first days of  training camp. Since then Brown has established himself on the 53 man roster as the starting punt returner. No small accomplishment for an undrafted rookie.

I asked him how he felt about his regular season debut.

"I think I played well. Played my role well, did well on special teams. The blockers on punt returns made it easy for me."

Still think its awesome how Zod has turned this site into a great news/article site. I feel my presence and posts are like a weight trying to drag it back down to the depths of a PewterReport.

--------------------------------------

Matt Ryan wears braided belts.

Archived