• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Johnson restructures?

blackcat

It's not for Kuechly. They can't even negotiate with him until next year. This is certainly to sign Cam, or less likely some blockbuster deal out of nowhere. Whenever they extend Cam it will tack onto his current deal which runs through 2015. So if they give him a 6 year extension, those 6 years will be 2016-2021. A 6 year extension means we have Cam locked up until the summer of 2022, when he's 33 years old.

IMO, an announcement will come in the next week or so that Newton has signed an extension. My thinking is a deal is either in place or close to being finalized. Voth mentioned this restructure by Johnson was being talked about behind doors last month. Two and two together says they've had this restructure in place for at least a month and were waiting to make sure they could get Newton extended now before making the restructure official. Without extending Cam there's almost no reason to do this.

Why do people on here keep saying Hardy is gone next year?

Is it solely for the alleged case? Or what is it

Because we drafted his replacement in the 2nd rd. The case was just icing on the cake. I would love for him to stay but lets be realistic we can't afford him with Cam/Kuechly looking for big money.

It's not for Kuechly. They can't even negotiate with him until next year. This is certainly to sign Cam, or less likely some blockbuster deal out of nowhere. Whenever they extend Cam it will tack onto his current deal which runs through 2015. So if they give him a 6 year extension, those 6 years will be 2016-2021. A 6 year extension means we have Cam locked up until the summer of 2022, when he's 33 years old.

IMO, an announcement will come in the next week or so that Newton has signed an extension. My thinking is a deal is either in place or close to being finalized. Voth mentioned this restructure by Johnson was being talked about behind doors last month. Two and two together says they've had this restructure in place for at least a month and were waiting to make sure they could get Newton extended now before making the restructure official. Without extending Cam there's almost no reason to do this.

We save about $5.2m this year but that just gets added onto the next few seasons. So we effectively have LESS for future extensions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how this signals a Cam extension at all, in fact it would appear to make it more difficult.

I'm probably missing something though.

Why do people on here keep saying Hardy is gone next year?

Is it solely for the alleged case? Or what is it

-Voth & others are adamant that Hardy will walk

-Johnson restructure solidifies his status (can't afford both)

-Ealy drafted in 2nd rd

-Alexander, Addison, Horton on the bench

-Lotulelei & Short plugging the middle

-Newton & Kuechly massive extensions looming in near future

-Hardy facing lengthy suspension next year

-DE is a premium and he will get a massive deal

Reading between the leaves it's pretty easy to see that Hardy is gone. I'm sure DG wants to keep him, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did sign him, but unfortunately Hardy is likely a luxury we won't be able to afford.

and yea a big part of it is the case and he's a lunatic...just enjoy watching him when he gets gets going this year. i'm being critical of him and he had a strip sack in crunch time we just didn't jump on it...i'm going to assume it's cams money. 5.2 is a lot to clear for a FA signing for depth

We save about $5.2m this year but that just gets added onto the next few seasons. So we effectively have LESS for future extensions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how this signals a Cam extension at all, in fact it would appear to make it more difficult.

I'm probably missing something though.

You are correct. This was a restructure not a pay cut according to the article. Unless CJ gets extended we are looking at close to a 20 million cap hit for him next year.

Where this 5.2 million can help us though is if we have to pay someone a signing bonus this year. Someone might be about to get a signing bonus of 20-25 million.

Should be an interesting week around here.

Probably means we're extending Cam.

Maybe it means we're moving Hardy, possibly a trade of Hardy for Matt Kalil...

If we trade Hardy it better be for a WR.

I love KB, but soon teams are gonna start doubling him, we need someone other than Olsen to take pressure off him.

If we trade Hardy it better be for a WR.

I love KB, but soon teams are gonna start doubling him, we need someone other than Olsen to take pressure off him.

If we were trading Hardy we wouldn't need to free up 5 million. I'm not saying we wont trade Hardy at some point, but this move sounds like we are getting ready to extend one of our own.

Archived