• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mandel: Panther D is "Super Bowl quality"

gettlemanjack

Yes it is a team sport. Something you are arguing against. Not sure what you are trying to say.If our D was middle of the road, I may agree with you that it could make a difference. They could use the rest. However, our D is top shelf. They are deep, and talented. They have rotations keeping them fresh.And saying our D would be worse with a worse O is just opinion. A great D is a great D. No matter what type of O you have. I don't expect you to agree, cuz that would mean you would have to give our D some credit.

That makes no sense....

I got into this conversation bc I said we achieved our statistically elite #2 D in part bc of our highly efficient O and ST aiding them......bc it all plays a hand in it which is one of many reasons football is such a team sport.

Whatever this argument is you are trying to have isn't worth it. Come holler at me in a thread about DeAngelo should be getting carries over Stewart and I'll party.

That makes no sense....

I got into this conversation bc I said we achieved our statistically elite #2 D in part bc of our highly efficient O and ST aiding them......bc it all plays a hand in it which is one of many reasons football is such a team sport.

Whatever this argument is you are trying to have isn't worth it. Come holler at me in a thread about DeAngelo should be getting carries over Stewart and I'll party.

Our #2 ranked D would be great whether our O is top ten or not. But keep missing that point. You do that well.

Because you said it is a team game. Then say the D wouldn't be as good if the O wasn't as good. Sounds like you are giving credit to one phase and dismissing the other. That doesn't sound like you actually believe in the team game philosophy. Just using the phrase to make your argument sound good.

I guess I believe that a great D is a great D. Where you think an O makes the difference. Cool for you. I just think it is too simplistic.

Yeah, bring up DWill. Nice deflection.

We are almos there , our front 7 is beast but in order for us to follow the carolina cats were around 3 years to go . We need a secoundary as much as i hate geltlemang i think hes putting us in a good direction im thinking the next two years are rebuilding then we draft a good safety and a good cb and we will have rings on top of rings but for now i just cant see us inning with our secoundary out sdides melvin white. Im scared as hell with cam injured n our shitty line . We better start anderson

• 2 weeks later...

NFL.com today:

"Well. Those who thought Carolina doesn't have what it takes to compete for a Super Bowl should consider that the Panthers' defense has forced six turnovers, given up 21 points (over 2 games) and allowed opposing quarterbacks to gain a little more than 5 yards per attempt through two games. That is a certifiably championship-caliber unit, folks."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395698/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-chargers-soar-seahawks-tumble

here are the NFC players that made ESPN's recent top 100 NFL defensive players list/ranking. Five Panthers are on it: #1 LB, #2 DE, #3 DT, #9 DE, #12 LB

DT

1. Suh

2. McCoy

3. Star Lotulelei, Panthers

4. Nick Fairley

5. Brandon Mebane, Seahawks

DE

1. Robert Quinn

2. Greg Hardy, Panthers

3. Justin Smith, 49ers

4. Michael Bennett, Seahawks

5. Jared Allen

6. Chris Long

7. Cameron Jordan

8. Jason Pierre-Paul

9. Charles Johnson, Panthers

10. Calais Campbell

11. Cliff Avril, Seahawks

12. Darnell Dockett

13. Michael Johnson

14. B.J. Raji

15. Justin Tuck

LB

1. Luke Kuechly, Panthers

2. Patrick Willis, 49ers

3. NaVorro Bowman, 49ers

4. Clay Matthews

5. Aldon Smith, 49ers

6. Lavonte David

7. Brian Orakpo

8. Bobby Wagner, Seahawks

9. Julius Peppers

10. Lance Briggs

11. Ryan Kerrigan

12. Thomas Davis, Panthers

13. Ahmad Brooks, 49ers

14. Trent Cole

15. Bruce Irvin, Seahawks

16. John Abraham

17. James Laurinaitis

I don't get the McCoy hype. The man is so overrated.

The New York Post today:

"The Seahawks’ defense might get most of the attention, but its counterpart in Carolina needs to start being part of the conversation. The Panthers are 2-0 ... and almost all of the credit needs to go to a defense that..looks every bit as suffocating as the one in Seattle."

http://nypost.com/2014/09/16/nfl-power-rankings-meet-the-powerhouse-panthers/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived