• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mandel: Panther D is "Super Bowl quality"

gettlemanjack

But the D doesn't function in a vacuum.

If Cam isn't Cam the O implodes....D plays heavy reps. Heavy reps makes them more vulnerable. Bc if the front wear down we have one of the weaker secondary units left to fend for themselves

This is absolutely true, except for the second Saints game. How our D managed to be so dominate while also being on the field the majority of the game was truly amazing.

Besides Seattle and arguably San Fran who has a more SB quality defense?

I don't think there is a team. Those are the top 3, depending on how SF handles the implosion that's happening there.

Other than that, um. Houston has great players in defense, but it's like they're less than the sum of their parts. Baltimore looks to be good again, but they have old players who may not be able to live up to the hype. The Cardinals defense is awesome, but they don't have Darnell dockett.

Mitchell was great, but it may surprise you how many times his coverage was a liability.

Mitchell, Captain, Norman, and Godfrey/Mikell/Lester cost that defense last season in the secondary. The D did so well that this went unnoticed by many. There was no strong veteran leadership in that secondary.

DeCoud, Harper (eventhough I dislike him), and Cason raise that Football IQ in the secondary dramatically. Melvin White is young, but was the most intelligent DB we had last season in my opinion. I will take veteran leadership and intellect over athleticism and speed with a dominant front 7. The athleticism and speed is needed when you have a weak DL or LB corps.

2012 season saw the Panthers starting Godfrey, Norman, Captain, and Nakamura. With our current secondary those starters would all be considered depth.

Besides Seattle and arguably San Fran who has a more SB quality defense?

I didn't say ours wasn't. This defense has been trending up for sometime now, but last year was the only year they could be called elite. Now they have to play with the pressure of being known as a top defense, nobody is sleeping on them and teams will bring their A game. They can't just wake up on Sunday and think teams are going to lay down for them, quite the opposite. This is a team that thrives off being disrespected, this defense is well respected.

I didn't say ours wasn't. This defense has been trending up for sometime now, but last year was the only year they could be called elite. Now they have to play with the pressure of being known as a top defense, nobody is sleeping on them and teams will bring their A game. They can't just wake up on Sunday and think teams are going to lay down for them, quite the opposite. This is a team that thrives off being disrespected, this defense is well respected.

I don't think anybody on this defense just wakes up and thinks they'll dominate. Just like cam wouldn't allow it on O, keek won't allow it on D

people always say stuff like this.  "whoa ho ho well the target is on them now and they have to know that opposing coordinators are bringing out all the stops!"

i think the entire nfl knew what the hell we were after week 1 2013

people always say stuff like this. "whoa ho ho well the target is on them now and they have to know that opposing coordinators are bringing out all the stops!"

i think the entire nfl knew what the hell we were after week 1 2013

You'll find anyway you can to spend my post in a negative way everytime won't you. I knew as seem as I saw you posted that you quoted my post with some type of spin.

We have two top tier defensive ends and arguably a top five DT. Not to mention the best LB in the NFL and another top 15 one. Our front 7 is the best in the NFL with San Francisco being the only team close to having one as good as ours. As long as our secondary is respectable we will have another top 3 defense.

I'd argue the Jets have the closest amount of talent to us on the front 7.

However they have a TRULY anemic offense and not as great of a pass rush as they run a 3-4 and don't have exceptional edge rushing linebackers.

Archived