• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Cam Newton's Playing Status...

Jeremy Igo

Am I really seeing the Brady/Bledsoe scenario being compared to Cam/Anderson?

I hope not.

Only if you are not following along. The point was that he thinks that Belicheck would gamble and play Cam hurt or not and I showed where he put in a backup due to injury and then next week chose the backup over the starter. So he doesn't always gamble or take chances. He puts in who he thinks is the best option to win.

It really isn't fun when I have to explain it to you so you can keep up.

Only if you are not following along. The point was that he thinks that Belicheck would gamble and play Cam hurt or not and I showed where he put in a backup due to injury and then next week chose the backup over the starter. So he doesn't always gamble or take chances. He puts in who he thinks is the best option to win.

It really isn't fun when I have to explain it to you so you can keep up.

Bledsoe at that point in his career as an impact to his offense was not even remotely comparable to Cam Newton right now.

We will see what happens Sunday.

Whoever plays, I am most worried about our power RBs not being featured early to aid our QB

And I am afraid we will be stupid and not take what the defense is giving us and try to establish the run with 3 or 4 initial

3 and outs. If Tampa stacks the box only a fool will keep trying to run when that is what they are taking away. Middle school coaches know you have to run when they are in pass defense and you have to pass when they are trying to stop the run. You have a gameplan but you have to adapt along the way.

Your fears are simple assumptions.

If your argument is that he might get hit by a large guy, then I guess we should cancel the season. Because that happens to all players.

That is a given he will be hit by big guys. Tampa is going to blitz often and with 6 or 7 guys. I know Lovie and Tampa so my assumptions are going to happen. You will be the one to find out what I already know.

Bledsoe at that point in his career as an impact to his offense was not even remotely comparable to Cam Newton right now.

The Problem with debating you is that you make off the wall statements not related to the argument. No is comparing Cam to Bledsoe. CRA mentioned he thought Belicheck would gamble and I showed where he didn't. Anything else is simply made up in your mind.

Nor is DA a young drafted potential prospect for the future

But 55 was simply making a point which I get....he wasn't comparing players but focusing on the who gives you the best chance to win approach

Truth is that starting Anderson could be a bigger gamble than starting Cam. Sure the reason Anderson will start is because of injury if he does indeed start. But what if he plays great and we win big. Sure Newton is the starter but what if he is still nursing ribs and he can't run and struggles coming back in his first start. Do you put in Anderson?

No you just go with your starter because Anderson can handle being a backup better than Cam. Sure of Cam is hurt then he will understand.. And he has been great and a big cheerleader of everyone when he has not played. But that was preseason and this is for real. If he thinks he is 90% do you have to start him and let him take his shots ? Most pundits say you don't replace a starter unless he is really injured because it undermines the player perception of the coach's confidence in the player.

So is it a bigger gamble to start Anderson over a limited Cam ((who could think he is fine) for injury and because he is playing better right now )than it is to put in Cam for confidence building( and he needs the reps) and risk the injury. Look at McCown and Chicago. When Cutler went down and McCown came in and played pretty well a quarterback controversy developed at least among fans.

I suspect part o f the reason that McCown is gone besides the money is that he created a big controversy with Cutler. Can't have 2 guys who want to start on the same team unless one is good with the backup role. McCown wanted to be a starter and played well nought to earn it and Cutler is probably glad not to have McCown looking over his shoulder.

The safe bet is start Cam and leave him in even if he struggles. That is what Fox would have done and he is as safe as they come. If Ron started Anderson and upsets the applecart given you know Cam wants to play no matter what. Then he is Riverboat and playing the hot hand. Doing what coaches intent on winning do. Honestly Ron seems like a real player's coach so it will be hard for him not to start Newton unless he really is in pain. If Newton thinks he can play then the safe money is letting him do it to manage the locker room. The wildcard in all this is Gettleman. What does he want?

Truth is that starting Anderson could be a bigger gamble than starting Cam. Sure the reason Anderson will start is because of injury if he does indeed start. But what if he plays great and we win big. Sure Newton is the starter but what if he is still nursing ribs and he can't run and struggles coming back in his first start. Do you put in Anderson?

No you just go with your starter because Anderson can handle being a backup better than Cam. Sure of Cam is hurt then he will understand.. And he has been great and a big cheerleader of everyone when he has not played. But that was preseason and this is for real. If he thinks he is 90% do you have to start him and let him take his shots ? Most pundits say you don't replace a starter unless he is really injured because it undermines the coach's confidence in the player.

So is it a bigger gamble to start Anderson over a limited Cam ((who could think he is fine) for injury and because he is playing better right now )than it is to put in Cam for confidence building( and he needs the reps) and risk the injury. Look at McCown and Chicago. When Cutler went down and McCown came in and played pretty well there became a QB controversy . I suspect part o f the reason that McCown is gone besides the money is that he created a big controversy with Cutler. Can't have 2 guys who want to start on the same team unless one is good with the backup role. McCown wanted to be a starter and played well nought to earn it and Cutler is probably glad not to have McCown looking over his shoulder.

The safe bet is start Cam and leave him in even if he struggles. That is what Fox would have done and he is as safe as they come. If Ron started Anderson and upsets the applecart given you know Cam wants to play no matter what. Then he is Riverboat and playing the hot hand. Doing what coaches intent on winning do. Honestly Ron seems like a real player's coach so it will be hard for him not to start Newton unless he really is in pain. If Newton thinks he can play then the safe money is letting him do it to manage the locker room. The wildcard in all this is Gettleman. What does he want?

We are talking about Derek Anderson, playing in an offense with a virtually new offensive line, no speed on the outside, best WR is a rookie, and Mike Shula calling the plays. My God, please let Cam sit so we can get this poo out of the way.

The Problem with debating you is that you make off the wall statements not related to the argument. No is comparing Cam to Bledsoe. CRA mentioned he thought Belicheck would gamble and I showed where he didn't. Anything else is simply made up in your mind.

You can insult me until you are blue in the face, but it still doesn't make your hypothetical any less asinine.

Thanks to CRA for at least attempting to explain it on your behalf.

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton came into work Saturday morning feeling good, but his status for Sunday’s season opener is still very much up in the air.

Newton, who is listed as questionable with cracked ribs, threw passes and took first-team reps for the first time this week during Friday’s walkthrough. The fact he got through that without any ill-effects is a big step as he tries to convince the Panthers he should start against the Bucs. A final decision is still expected on Sunday.

Archived