• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Cam Newton's Playing Status...

Jeremy Igo

No, he sucks as a starter too.

And I will never understand this logic. Okay, maybe he sucks less than other backups around the NFL, maybe he is one of the best backups in the NFL I will give you that (I would disagree). So what? He ain't gonna be our backup if he plays Sunday. He will be the starter.

In Anderson's last start, he was 7/20 (35%!), 93 yards, 1 interception, 0 touchdowns, 29.8 QB Rating. Dude sucked when he played. Straight trash. I am just completely confused was to why so many people on this site think he as ever a competent starter outside of 1 fluke 8-game stretch in 2007. In 4 out of 5 seasons prior to coming to Carolina, he finished the season with a QB Rating 66 or worse. In his final 8 games in 2007, his QB Rating was 73.7. All he had to him was a big arm. He was extremely inaccurate. That is why Arizona got rid of him after 1 season.

Derek Anderon has always sucked.

When the actual starter is out, the backup is there to replace him. If the backup was starter material, he'd have a job starting for another team. The backup is not supposed to be as good as the starter. That's why he's a backup....and for a backup, he's pretty Damn good.

I obviously want our starter to start on Sunday but am thankful we don't have someone like Curtis painter behind newton.

Yeah he was especially bad that season in Cleveland where he threw for about 3800 yds. and 30 TD's.

First 8 Games:

57.59%, 17 TDs, 9 INTs, 91.7 QBR

Final 8 Games:

55.56%, 12 TDs, 10 INTs, 73.7 QBR

So what do you want to believe in more, a single 8-game stretch by him where he put up nice numbers or the final 8 games of that season plus the rest of his career where he has always looked abysmal? Look, even if I were to say he performed well in 2007 (and I already said in another thread he didn't play bad... but still it was mainly just an 8 game stretch; everyone back then saw his regression coming from a mile away)... that is still 1 good year vs. 3 awful ones. The guy sucks.

And I don't hate Anderson. I think he is a great guy and I'm glad he is on the team because it appears he has a nice friendship going with Newton and he is obviously supportive. But I just don't get why everyone keeps acting like he was ever all that good.

Only on the Huddle do a lot people sing DA's praises as one of the best backups in the league, but then when a real possibility occurs he could get the start, those same people throw him under the bus and call for a sure loss if he starts. You guys do realize DA and KB looked just as good together in pre season as Cam and KB did dont you? I believe in DA and I say we would still win with him.

As ive said before, when you have a elite D like ours, you can with backup QBs. Tim T and Trent Dilfer can back this up

First 8 Games:

57.59%, 17 TDs, 9 INTs, 91.7 QBR

Final 8 Games:

55.56%, 12 TDs, 10 INTs, 73.7 QBR

So what do you want to believe in more, a single 8-game stretch by him where he put up nice numbers or the final 8 games of that season plus the rest of his career where he has always looked abysmal? Look, even if I were to say he performed well in 2007 (and I already said in another thread he didn't play bad... but still it was mainly just an 8 game stretch; everyone back then saw his regression coming from a mile away)... that is still 1 good year vs. 3 awful ones. The guy sucks.

And I don't hate Anderson. I think he is a great guy and I'm glad he is on the team because it appears he has a nice friendship going with Newton and he is obviously supportive. But I just don't get why everyone keeps acting like he was ever all that good.

Because he takes this poo seriously

Only on the Huddle do a lot people sing DA's praises as one of the best backups in the league, but then when a real possibility occurs he could get the start, those same people throw him under the bus and call for a sure loss if he starts. You guys do realize DA and KB looked just as good together in pre season as Cam and KB did dont you? I believe in DA and I say we would still win with him.

As ive said before, when you have a elite D like ours, you can with backup QBs. Tim T and Trent Dilfer can back this up

Anderson has shown nothing in the NFL in years when asked to step up....

Our offense was helped to be elite thanks to Cam and our O. You but a bad O with our D.....they wouldn't be elite stastically.

The 2010 D was actually pretty good. O prohibited them from being able to show it. That is football.

I will pull harder than anyone for DA if he plays.....I just don't want to see him play

When the actual starter is out, the backup is there to replace him. If the backup was starter material, he'd have a job starting for another team. The backup is not supposed to be as good as the starter. That's why he's a backup....and for a backup, he's pretty Damn good.

I obviously want our starter to start on Sunday but am thankful we don't have someone like Curtis painter behind newton.

That's funny considering Curtis Painter's on-field performance and numbers in 2011 were about on par with Derek Anderson's previous 3 seasons starting.

I never said the backup should be as good of a starter. My issue is the amount of people acting like we aren't going to have serious issues with Anderson quarterback just because he found his way in a Pro Bowl game a long time ago in 2007. We sure as hell better be concerned if Anderson starts.

Anderson has shown nothing in the NFL in years when asked to step up....

Our offense was helped to be elite thanks to Cam and our O. You but a bad O with our D.....they wouldn't be elite stastically.

The 2010 D was actually pretty good. O prohibited them from being able to show it. That is football

Past results mean nothing. Josh Mccown was a 35 year old career back up that also looked awful throughout his career and he came in and put up Aaron Rodgers esque numbers last season as a backup

Past results mean nothing. Josh Mccown was a 35 year old career back up that also looked awful throughout his career and he came in and put up Aaron Rodgers esque numbers last season as a backup

And like what happened to Anderson after 8 games, McCown has already regressed back to his usual self as evident by the preseason.

That's funny considering Curtis Painter's on-field performance and numbers in 2011 were about on par with Derek Anderson's previous 3 seasons starting.

I never said the backup should be as good of a starter. My issue is the amount of people acting like we aren't going to have serious issues with Anderson quarterback just because he found his way in a Pro Bowl game a long time ago in 2007. We sure as hell better be concerned if Anderson starts.

Eh, from what I've seen in preseason (Yes I realize it's preseason and practice), Anderson looks better now than he did then. His failure could be in part related to the system he was previously in. But i agree we are seriously regressing if cam goes down for any period of time.

Look what he had to work with in Chicago, weapons are similar in Tampa. DA, would need to make some wow plays for us to win. Think of how many "Superman" plays Cam makes every game that we win. I just don't see DA being able to do that, especially if the running game doesn't get going.

Past results do mean something....if you suck for seasons. It matters. You can't just play the Awe Schucks It Doesn't Matter card.

Chicago has he best WR duo combo on the NFL....that helps. He went 3-2 in a weak division. McCown isn't suddenly legit now either.

Archived