• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the Roster Already Set?

firstdayfan

We won't keep six CB's. We usually only keep 9 DB's on the roster, and I don't see it changing this year...we just cannot afford the extra Corner with so few roster spots available. IMO, Wesley and Munnerlyn will battle it out for the final CB slot.

Typically, we keep 9 or 10 OL, and with the depth being pretty green, I don't think there is any chance we go with less than 9...not to mention the fact that last years injury problems along the OL will still be fresh on the coaches minds.

I do think we will end up keeping 5 WR on the roster. However, if we get into a pinch at another position, this may be a position where we could possibly pick up an extra roster spot if Goodson shows during games what he has shown in practice thus far. And the team typically activates 4 WR's on game days, so I wouldn't be too comfortable if I was fighting for that 5th spot.

At LB, I think Anderson will probably make the team again, but I have heard some really good things about the younger guys, so it is possible one of them steals is roster spot.

On the DL, I would not get too comfortable if I was Hayden or Favorite since the team will almost certainly pick up a veteran DT either by trade or after cuts, so one will probably be let go in order to make room (the the team will probably try to sign the loser, along with Harvey, to the PS). And with Johnson and Brayton both able to slide over to DT on passing downs, I think they will only keep 4 DT's, along with 5 DE's...particularly with the emphasis on pass rush along, with the good things I am hearing about Taylor's camp so far.

i don't know. i think he's the weak link but i don't know who can overtake him. i don't like the idea of going with 5 LBs and i'm pulling for Ivy but i'm not sure he can do it.

i see anderson as seward part 2. i just don't see him as being much more than he is right now. i'd rather see us use that spot on someone with more potential but i'm not sure there is much else there. he'll be on the roster for lack of a better option if he's there.

There is absolutely no way we will go with only 5 LB's. Aside from the fact that it would leave us with horrible depth at the position, LB's are usually key contributors on ST. And to me, Anderson is the LB equivalent of Wesley at CB...neither are anything special at their base position, but both are good on ST. But unlike Wesley, I don't know if there is anyone behind Anderson that can legitimately compete with his ST ability while giving us better play in base defense. Maybe one of the young guys will step up once the preseason games start, but until then, I look for Anderson to keep a grip on his spot.

If Ryne isn't kept for returns, do you think he makes the roster as a WR over Carter and Moore?

Without a doubt. He's always been above them on the depth chart, and has received praise from Fox on his strong off-season and camp...just like he did last year, until his injury. But if he does happen to lose both the returner positions, I don't think Carter would be the one to take his roster spot. He's not even in the competition for returner, so for him to beat out Robinson, he would have to clearly out perform him as a receiver, which, based on reports, he is not doing. IMO, Moore is the one that poses the greatest risk to Robinson's place on the team, but I believe that if Moore does well enough to make the roster, Robinson will still be above him on the WR depth chart.

I really don't think they'll keep 6 CBs. Martin is probably a lock because of his draft status. Munnerlyn will also make it if he keeps up the same level of ability he's shown so far. That leaves the final spot likely coming down to either Wesley or Wilson. It could go either way. Wesley has the experience and the special teams ability. Wilson provides the benefit of being able to play both safety and CB. Knowing Fox, they'll probably go with the veteran, Dante Wesley.

Really wish we had've drafted the best DT available with the pick we used on Martin, seeing what Captain has shown in camp.

Right now, I agree. That being said, neither has taken a snap in the NFL, so I'll adopt a wait-and-see approach.

Of course, I don't think many of us anticipated hearing so much about Munnerlyn and so little about Martin.

I agree, I think we should wait and see what Sherrod has. Knowning what we know now it would have been great to have gotten another DT out of that pick but lets see what Martin has to offer. He does have some versatility having played safety before and I read an article on yahoo that said he is ready to contribute right away so I don't know.

Archived