• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the Roster Already Set?

firstdayfan

OK, I have had it. It is time for you to go.

You should know that logic is not allowed on this board. If you continue to include logic in your posts, you will need to pack your bags and go.:D

Oh, sorry I guess this isn't that kind of forum....so you think we will sign Vick?:rolleyes:

I really hope we aren't overstating Goodson's ability to play the slot position. I didn't really see him do it at Fan Fest so it will be intersting if they let him play it a little bit Monday. Wonder if they will just let him do smoke screens and quick outs or really let him run some deeper more advanced routes?

I still think Cadogan has a shot over a wr or cb. Maybe they will just stash him on the ps.

I had high hopes for Cadogan after the draft. I thought he was a 5th or 6th round pick that we got as an undrafted free agent. I noticed though that Jonathon Palmer was ahead of him at Fan Fest. That could change with a good preseason but he looks destined for the practice squad or worse.

Last night was a late one and as I drove the family back from a nice day at the beach I kept myself busy by analyzing the panthers roster top to bottom when I realized something pretty nice, I think the roster is already set. Due to the lack of free agents and big time losses I think this will be the first year that we don't see a lot of suprises come cut time. Let's take a look...

QB (3) Delhomme, McCown, Moore

RB (5) Williams, Hoover, Stewart, Goodson, Fiammatta

WR (5) Smith, Muhammed, Jarrett, Robinson, Moore

TE (3) Barnidge, King, Rosario

OL (8) Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Vincent, Otah, Bernadeau, Schwartz, Robinson

Offense= 24 players

DE (5) Peppers, Johnson, Brayton, Brown, Taylor

DT (4) Lewis, Hayden, Irvin, Favorite

LB (6) Diggs, Beason, Davis, Connor, Johnson, Anderson

CB (6) Gamble, Marshall, Wilson, Martin, Wesley, Munnerlyn

S (4) Harris, Godfrey, Teal, Salley

Defense= 25 players

LS Jansen

PK Kasay

KOS Lloyd

P Baker

Special Teams= 4 players

53 total players

I also think that the panthers will pick up another defensive tackle at some point and Favorite might be gone. I think we need someone with starting ability to feel comfortable like one of the tackles from tennessee which was mentioned in another thread. The only other guys with a shot are maybe Carter over Moore but I don't see that and maybe Joe Fields over Salley and thats only because Salley has been hurt the entire training camp. Other than that things look set, I think we are really deep at RB, DE, and LB. I like what I see overall.

Thoughts...

I'm pretty much with you on this but I think Cadogan will make the roster. Either Dante Wesley will get cut or one of the corners goes to PS.

I really hope we aren't overstating Goodson's ability to play the slot position. I didn't really see him do it at Fan Fest so it will be intersting if they let him play it a little bit Monday. Wonder if they will just let him do smoke screens and quick outs or really let him run some deeper more advanced routes?

One possible reason for that is maybe b/c D-Will and Stewart were hurt and makes Goodson the 1, and they want to know his rb skills first and more importantly than in the slot. We do have wr's, I don't expect MG to be our #3 or even 4, if we have 4 in a game. If we only dress 3 wr's each game, then he will be the 4, but we know we don't run 4wr sets often. Even when we do spread the field, there is usually a TE or 2 lined up wide. Him playing outside would be for mismatches, possibly starting in the backfield then going in motion wide.

I wonder if Matt Moore will be cut if we can work another DT in the rotation. Robinson, Wesely and Teal could all be sacrificed if the right player comes along after the 1st round of cuts

I think if another DT comes in and the coaches like Favorite, Taylor is gone.

I disagree, with Beason and Davis being banged up, plus his experience here, he is pretty much a lock. Does that mean you believe only 5 LB's?
i don't know. i think he's the weak link but i don't know who can overtake him. i don't like the idea of going with 5 LBs and i'm pulling for Ivy but i'm not sure he can do it.

i see anderson as seward part 2. i just don't see him as being much more than he is right now. i'd rather see us use that spot on someone with more potential but i'm not sure there is much else there. he'll be on the roster for lack of a better option if he's there.

Archived