• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the Roster Already Set?

firstdayfan

Last night was a late one and as I drove the family back from a nice day at the beach I kept myself busy by analyzing the panthers roster top to bottom when I realized something pretty nice, I think the roster is already set. Due to the lack of free agents and big time losses I think this will be the first year that we don't see a lot of suprises come cut time. Let's take a look...

QB (3) Delhomme, McCown, Moore

RB (5) Williams, Hoover, Stewart, Goodson, Fiammatta

WR (5) Smith, Muhammed, Jarrett, Robinson, Moore

TE (3) Barnidge, King, Rosario

OL (8) Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Vincent, Otah, Bernadeau, Schwartz, Robinson

Offense= 24 players

DE (5) Peppers, Johnson, Brayton, Brown, Taylor

DT (4) Lewis, Hayden, Irvin, Favorite

LB (6) Diggs, Beason, Davis, Connor, Johnson, Anderson

CB (6) Gamble, Marshall, Wilson, Martin, Wesley, Munnerlyn

S (4) Harris, Godfrey, Teal, Salley

Defense= 25 players

LS Jansen

PK Kasay

KOS Lloyd

P Baker

Special Teams= 4 players

53 total players

I also think that the panthers will pick up another defensive tackle at some point and Favorite might be gone. I think we need someone with starting ability to feel comfortable like one of the tackles from tennessee which was mentioned in another thread. The only other guys with a shot are maybe Carter over Moore but I don't see that and maybe Joe Fields over Salley and thats only because Salley has been hurt the entire training camp. Other than that things look set, I think we are really deep at RB, DE, and LB. I like what I see overall.

Thoughts...

I would be very surprised if they only took 8 offensive lineman in the season. Look for one of those corners not to make it or seeing how Goodson can be used as a wideout as well they may only take 4 wideouts into the season. You are correct in that the roster is pretty much set but o-line and defensive tackle positions are still up in the air, at least compared to most of the other positions.

Also, don't forget how important backup lineman are in special teams play. That is sometimes overlooked.

I think we only carry four receivers, and Moore won't make the cut.

I was thinking that too, will have 5 total, but 4 if Goodson is a WR/RB. We hardly ever dress more than 3 wr's each game, and with the versatility of Goodson, that may be more the case than not. I doubt we will have a surprise with Beavers, Carter or even Moore, but I think Robinson may be in trouble too. Lucky for him, Fox drafted him relatively early.

Archived