• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers at Bucs - Quick Hits

Jeremy Igo

Running down someone and actually covering someone are two separate things. I welcome Davis covering Jackson all day!

This is true, but Davis is arguably the best coverage OLB. (4-3) I doubt they would put him on VJax ALL game anyway. Don't underestimate him tho. (I kno that goes both ways, just saying)

Last season Chris Scott and Travelle Wharton were the starting guards for Tampa Bay. Since then, Chris Scott was released and Wharton retired. Both were serviceable vets at best. 

I don't know if I would call Wharton "serviceable at best".  He graded out as the 3rd best LG in the NFL by PFF last year.  While obviously PFF grades aren't the end-all be-all of player evaluation, I'd still argue that being 3rd in the NFL at your position puts you a little higher than "serviceable".  

Is that why the Panthers were so eager to re-sign him

I honestly have no idea why he isn't resigned.  For all I know, they made him an offer and he rejected it because he wanted more money.  Or perhaps he was dead set on retiring and wasn't going to come back regardless.  Either way, everyone was very high on his play last year.  In addition to PFF having him as #3 LG (#5 Guard overall), and #1 FA guard, Rotoworld had this to say: "Wharton was quietly one of the best guards in the entire league last season, but the 33-year-old is hanging 'em up in hopes of enjoying a normal post-football life."

I'm not saying our guards this year are bad or even that Silatolu won't be as good/better than Wharton.  I'm just saying Wharton was no slouch last year and played at a high level.

Archived