• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Caplan: Stephen Hill trying out for Panthers today

Jeremy Igo

Hey all, Jet fan coming in peace. I've been on this board for a while now since Steve Smith and Killa Cam were always a couple of my favorite players which made the Panthers a sort of second team for me. 

I can tell you some things about Hill being that I've watched every game he's played on the Jets and followed him closely each training camp. He was a second rounder, so we expected a lot from him. He has that prototypical size and speed, which seems to promise success. However, his fundamentals and hands are absolutely terrible. You can blame the coaching and QBs, but there comes a time where you have to start pointing fingers. There were plenty of times where we targeted him and he just could not grab the ball. He is not physical, and he tries to trap the ball with his body. Never goes for it with his hands. One play comes to mind was last year when the Jets were playing our division rivals the Patriots. There was a play late in the game where we just had to get a first down and we would have likely ran out the clock and won. Hill was wide open and he dropped it. It was a good throw right at him too. Thats the kind of production you'll get out of him.

Up until this season I still had faith in him. I want to see him succeed because I don't want his size and speed to go to waste. The potential to be a monster is there. Hopefully you guys sign him and maybe get the best out of him. That would be awesome considering I always rooted for Hill as well as the Panthers.

Yeah they are. But say the Saints call later today. The Agent would prefer their client on that team. The Saints keep us weak while picking up a prospect. 

But all I have is speculation. We know for sure he's here, if Gettleman likes what he sees he can't let him out of the building. In fact Huddlers at Charlotte Douglas, Stephen Hill does not leave Charlotte!

You do know his agent was Proehl's former agent and specifically stated he hoped the Panthers would claim him and that Proehl "could do wonders for Hill," right?

As I said in my post, PFF.

According to them, 3 drops on 27 catchable balls.

PFF is not the be all end all, and they are just one among several. Yahoo Fantasy Football uses them, and I can tell you from personal experience that they are no special, and arguably less special than others.  

To all those that keep beating a dead horse...Panthers WR corp ranked 29th last year with our franchise QB throwing them the ball.Maybe you are shooting for 30 or 31st and then you would be happy.Keep the guys we had and your dream would have been granted.

That is overblown, but I'm not gonna turn this into a Smitty discussion. I am not going to change my mind that our corps as it is presently constituted is better minus 89. Now get someone in here that can actually compliment Benjamin, or actually push him for the WR1 position, then I may change my mind (not Saying that Hill is or isn't that guy).

The team disagrees.

Who's right? Ask me again in about 18 weeks.

Rice was re-signed by the Seahawks then retired. Not sure about Alexander.

His leg never healed correctly, and developed some type of infection I think. I could be wrong on the infection but I know his leg is still worrying a lot of teams. Shame, that kid has so much damn talent.

PFF is not the be all end all, and they are just one among several. Yahoo Fantasy Football uses them, and I can tell you from personal experience that they are no special, and arguably less special than others.  

That's fantasy football, which is different from stat accumulation...

Considering NFL personnel use PFF, I'll trust them for stats like these.

Archived