• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Caplan: Stephen Hill trying out for Panthers today

Jeremy Igo

Hill: 3 drops on 51 targets. 6% drop rate

LaFell: 8 drops on 90 targets. 9% drop rate

Hill: 6 drops on 46 targets. 13% drop rate

LaFell: 3 drops on 69 targets. 4% drop rate.

I don't know where you're getting your drop stats from, but I have been using these guys for years.  They say Hill dropped ONE catchab;e pass in 2013.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/498805/stephen-hill/#Receiving%20Yards$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

I'd say it's a little too late to fix the WR position, should have kept Smith, signed back Ginn, and maybe even Nicks. The fact we are trying out Stephen Hill screams desperation

Ace, this post suggests that salary cap is not an issue. 

Cutting Smith saved us only $1m in 2014, but locked us into another $16 million over the next 2.  We really do not want to pay a 37-year old speed WR $9m.

Ginn would have cost us about $3m.  Paying a veteran after one of his best seasons is scary.  However, between Smitty, Lafell, and Nicks, I would agree with you about Ginn.  His deep-threat abilties, return skills make him worth the $$.

Nicks may have been an option, but he signed a 1-year deal.  There were some serious concerns around the league about him.  I think his deal was about $3.5 with incentive bonuses for much more.

I have issues with WRs who cannot catch just about everything they touch.  I also have issues with WRs that are Prima Donnas. 

I like what we have, considering the cap space we have.

So what your saying is Hill improved while LaFell got worse...

I think what it shows that, as LaFell got relied on more(big jump in targets) and he started dropping ball more frequently.

Hill had slightly more targets and was able to cut down on his ridiculous 13% drop rate.

For comparison, in 2012 AJ Green had a 9% drop rate but he had 168 targets.

to be fair, targets not converted into catches don't often mean drops. lots of reasons for a low completion %.over/under thrown balls, botched routes, blown routes due to coverage, pass break ups, etc.

pff does have him with more drops, though, than the one.

Targets without receptions aren't drops. 

i understand your points. but mine remains because you cant blame all of those incompletions on QB play. maybe if the percent was closer to 75, i could believe that Hill was just a victim of poor QB play. but the reception percentage is well under 50% in both of his two seasons. i dont trust that.... not enough to want the Panthers to spend money on him when we have bigger needs that WR/KR/PR. OT and S are MUCH bigger needs than WR

Prior rookies would say working together with Smitty wasn't such a great thing for them.

Given how much is riding on Benjamin, you really wanna take that chance?

That is overblown, but I'm not gonna turn this into a Smitty discussion. I am not going to change my mind that our corps as it is presently constituted is better minus 89.  Now get someone in here that can actually compliment Benjamin, or actually push him for the WR1 position, then I may change my mind (not Saying that Hill is or isn't that guy).

I don't know where you're getting your drop stats from, but I have been using these guys for years.  They say Hill dropped ONE catchab;e pass in 2013.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/498805/stephen-hill/#Receiving%20Yards$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

As I said in my post, PFF.

According to them, 3 drops on 27 catchable balls.

Archived