• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Caplan: Stephen Hill trying out for Panthers today

Jeremy Igo

I'd say it's a little too late to fix the WR position, should have kept Smith, signed back Ginn, and maybe even Nicks. The fact we are trying out Stephen Hill screams desperation

I've heard it said from the powers that be here that you should always churn the bottom of your roster. This isn't a move to replace WR1 through WR4, so why does that scream desperation?

well that makes me feel a little better, but i still get the feeling that he will be just another ginn as a receiver only without the benefit of ginn as a returner.

Look, I am not necessarily a Hill guy, and I bought into all the negative hype also.  But when I actually started looking at what His agent was saying and looking at how sucky the entire Jets passing game was, I decided to give Hill the benefit of the doubt.  He could turn out to be a Ginn WR, but he could also turn out exponentially better than that with the proper opportunity and coaching.

well that makes me feel a little better, but i still get the feeling that he will be just another ginn as a receiver only without the benefit of ginn as a returner.

Damn, how do double posts happen?

Anyway, it's easy and lazy to say "Ahh, it's just sour grapes", but his agent may be on to something.

One thing that concerns me here. His agent basically blamed the Jets organization, Quarterbacks, and offense. Is he going to want his client in a Mike Shula offense with an injured starting Quarterback? If a high octane offense gives him a call he will put his client in the best position to succeed.

his agent wanted the panthers to claim him. so i think there is mutual interest for a fit.

One thing that concerns me here. His agent basically blamed the Jets organization, Quarterbacks, and offense. Is he going to want his client in a Mike Shula offense with an injured starting Quarterback? If a high octane offense gives him a call he will put his client in the best position to succeed.

He wouldn't be here if he and his agent weren't interested.  

I'd say it's a little too late to fix the WR position, should have kept Smith, signed back Ginn, and maybe even Nicks. The fact we are trying out Stephen Hill screams desperation

Everybody loved Steve Smith, but for gods sake, let it go.

It was time to part ways, past time if you really want to be true to yourself.

Overpaying for Smith, Ginn, and Nicks....yup, that's a plan right there.

Look, I am not necessarily a Hill guy, and I bought into all the negative hype also.  But when I actually started looking at what His agent was saying and looking at how sucky the entire Jets passing game was, I decided to give Hill the benefit of the doubt.  He could turn out to be a Ginn WR, but he could also turn out exponentially better than that with the proper opportunity and coaching.

We thought Underwood could turn out to be a Ginn type WR here, and that uh did not work out at all.

Hill was targeted 8 times in the preseason and only caught 3 balls.

This is the issue with him on paper, but I have not seen the Jests enough to know if Hill was the problem or the QB or the OL.  He catches about 45% of passes thrown toward him.  However, his average per catch is a bit high, which suggests that his receptions are deeper passes--45% is not that bad if that is the case.

This could be our offense's deep threat, along with Brown.

I agree that Foucault is the likely player to PS, but we have 3 players who can play center and have 10 OL on the roster-I think, with the versatility of our new guards,  Folkerts could be the victim.

Once again you can't fault him for not developing as a WR on the Jets. The last 1000-yard receiver they had was our very own Jerricho Cotchery in 2007.

However the lack of being given a thriving chance can cause a young player to regress badly from what they were. In other words, Hill may have less ability now than he did as a green rookie.

Archived