• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Caplan: Stephen Hill trying out for Panthers today

Jeremy Igo

He cleared waivers too. If we are right by signing him, 30 other teams were wrong for letting him slip by (and the Jests for cutting him).

Everyone wants to find a Picasso at the yard sale.

If someone were to claim him on waivers they'd be responsible for his remaining contract. Now that he's cleared waivers a team can give him a one year prove it type contract.

We brought him in and he had a try out. The "dark lord" Ricky P who is the mastermind you people want to turn him into something he isn't very likely wasn't impressed enough for them to sign him right now. What else do you want them to do? Do you really want them to sign players they don't want after a tryout?

We brought him in and he had a try out. The "dark lord" Ricky P who is the mastermind you people want to turn him into something he isn't very likely wasn't impressed enough for them to sign him right now. What else do you want them to do? Do you really want them to sign players they don't want after a tryout?

According to Joey p they are still in Charlotte and have physicals today

I'm a glass half full kind of guy.  Ted Ginn wasn't exactly lights out for Miami or San Fran before he made his stop here.  There's a lot of talk about Hill's hands, but Ginn had like 2 whole passes thrown his way in 2012.  Maybe all Hill needs is a change of scenery.  I just hope our FO doesn't get into a habit of finding rough diamonds, shaping them shiny for the league to see, and then lose them.  I know we're in a cap situation, but if Hill pans out I hope we get him for more than one year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Santonio Holmes earn the #3 WR spot for the bears?

I didn't know Hill and Benjamin are only 2 months apart in age. Hill is still young and can improve. The Jets have had QB problems while Hill was there which could effect his production. He also had a knee injury at the end of his rookie season which hurt him his sophomore season and eventually sent him to injured reserve.

I don't know if the kid can stay healthy or has fully recovered from his injury but if so he is worth looking at. It's possible he could end up being a diamond in the rough or he could just be a bust either way we won't have to give up anything to get him.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Ted Ginn wasn't exactly lights out for Miami or San Fran before he made his stop here. There's a lot of talk about Hill's hands, but Ginn had like 2 whole passes thrown his way in 2012. Maybe all Hill needs is a change of scenery. I just hope our FO doesn't get into a habit of finding rough diamonds, shaping them shiny for the league to see, and then lose them. I know we're in a cap situation, but if Hill pans out I hope we get him for more than one year.

Why not? I see no problem in keeping a revolving door for certain positions every year so long as we can find value in FA. It works for us and it works for the player. They get an opportunity to prove they are worthy of a contract and we get someone with talent and something to prove to overachieve for us. So long as we have our core players to keep the identity and morale of the team I think it's a good business model.

Why not? I see no problem in keeping a revolving door for certain positions every year so long as we can find value in FA. It works for us and it works for the player. They get an opportunity to prove they are worthy of a contract and we get someone with talent and something to prove to overachieve for us. So long as we have our core players to keep the identity and morale of the team I think it's a good business model.

I guess I would just like to see some more continuity on the offensive side of the ball.  We'll see how good of a business model it is in the latter part of the season.  I think this year is kind of an exception year in terms of player turnover, but continuity on the OL is important, and I think Cam needs another WR target to gel with.  And we may already have that with Jericho and/or Jason, but only time will tell.  I am excited out our TE's this year and really looking forward to watching that group play this year.  Back to my original point, we took a gamble on Teddy and it paid off.  It would have been nice having him back to return punts and be that small speedy guy for us again this year.  Just reap more benefit from us taking a chance. 

• From my perspective, WR is a position where people tend to gravitate toward the flashy players with speed opposed to the duller players who have refined the finer, technical aspects of the game.  As in baseball, everyone likes the home run hitter opposed to the singles hitter, even though the home run hitter strikes out twice as much.  In other words, how many 4.3 guys do you know with outstanding hands and technique?  You can count them on one finger, one hand if you consider NFL history.  On the other side of the coin, how many 4.6 WRs do you know who are dependable and solid in every phase of the game?  Jerry Rice & Michael Irvin, for example, were over 4.5.  There are only a few Randy Mosses and Calvin Johnsons in the history of the league. (both were in the sub 4.3 range)

Smitty was a flashy WR.  Last year, would you have sworn that he had more than 4 TDs and 745 yards---only 7.5 more yards per game than Lafell and one FEWER TD? But there were many on here who wanted Lafell gone and they wanted to guarantee Smitty $21m over the next 3 seasons to stay.   Most people were probably a bit surprised when they learned that Olsen had more yards.  Why the love for speed over production? 

Stephen Hill is a technique nightmare.  He body catches, he runs poor routes, he does not use his speed to his benefit.  You have to think, "What if..." when you see him, but I think he is a Drew Carter and nothing more.  I hope I am wrong if we sign him, but probably not.

i agree with most of this but myth about paying smith 21mil for the next 3 years, every rational fan can accept smith being released for that but he was never asked or approach about a pay cut or restructure, also he missed pretty much 2 games.His stats may have been a little higher.

as far as Hill,giving him til week 7 or this season to work with Ricky could be a BIG pay-off, i think most people understand besides kb, we have bersin and king who will get there chance once avant and jericho are done but anytime a guy is 6'4 or above and runs a decent forty most teams are going to take a flyer because the reward could be huge. From looking at the guy he just has bad technique,which can be coach, and if the FO believes in Ricky i think he can turn Hill into a very good #2 or possibly #1

It is not like we would be asking him to come in and be our top receiver. He would be a situational receiver while he develops, and you have a lot of physical tools to work with.

It is a low risk high reward that could pay off big, but if it doesn't you don't really lose anything

It is not like we would be asking him to come in and be our top receiver. He would be a situational receiver while he develops, and you have a lot of physical tools to work with.

It is a low risk high reward that could pay off big, but if it doesn't you don't really lose anything

What we could lose is depth at another position or a guy that contributes in other ways. Although the more I think about it, the more I'm OK with us picking him up, I just don't know who we would drop in order to take him.

Archived