• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Caplan: Stephen Hill trying out for Panthers today

Jeremy Igo

• From my perspective, WR is a position where people tend to gravitate toward the flashy players with speed opposed to the duller players who have refined the finer, technical aspects of the game.  As in baseball, everyone likes the home run hitter opposed to the singles hitter, even though the home run hitter strikes out twice as much.  In other words, how many 4.3 guys do you know with outstanding hands and technique?  You can count them on one finger, one hand if you consider NFL history.  On the other side of the coin, how many 4.6 WRs do you know who are dependable and solid in every phase of the game?  Jerry Rice & Michael Irvin, for example, were over 4.5.  There are only a few Randy Mosses and Calvin Johnsons in the history of the league. (both were in the sub 4.3 range)

Smitty was a flashy WR.  Last year, would you have sworn that he had more than 4 TDs and 745 yards---only 7.5 more yards per game than Lafell and one FEWER TD? But there were many on here who wanted Lafell gone and they wanted to guarantee Smitty $21m over the next 3 seasons to stay.   Most people were probably a bit surprised when they learned that Olsen had more yards.  Why the love for speed over production? 

Stephen Hill is a technique nightmare.  He body catches, he runs poor routes, he does not use his speed to his benefit.  You have to think, "What if..." when you see him, but I think he is a Drew Carter and nothing more.  I hope I am wrong if we sign him, but probably not.

• From my perspective, WR is a position where people tend to gravitate toward the flashy players with speed opposed to the duller players who have refined the finer, technical aspects of the game.  As in baseball, everyone likes the home run hitter opposed to the singles hitter, even though the home run hitter strikes out twice as much.  In other words, how many 4.3 guys do you know with outstanding hands and technique?  You can count them on one finger, one hand if you consider NFL history.  On the other side of the coin, how many 4.6 WRs do you know who are dependable and solid in every phase of the game?  Jerry Rice & Michael Irvin, for example, were over 4.5.  There are only a few Randy Mosses and Calvin Johnsons in the history of the league. (both were in the sub 4.3 range)

Smitty was a flashy WR.  Last year, would you have sworn that he had more than 4 TDs and 745 yards---only 7.5 more yards per game than Lafell and one FEWER TD? But there were many on here who wanted Lafell gone and they wanted to guarantee Smitty $21m over the next 3 seasons to stay.   Most people were probably a bit surprised when they learned that Olsen had more yards.  Why the love for speed over production? 

Stephen Hill is a technique nightmare.  He body catches, he runs poor routes, he does not use his speed to his benefit.  You have to think, "What if..." when you see him, but I think he is a Drew Carter and nothing more.  I hope I am wrong if we sign him, but probably not.

I agree with you man. If he isn't putting it together enough to stay on the Jets of all teams, there's something missing. 

I agree with you man. If he isn't putting it together enough to stay on the Jets of all teams, there's something missing. 

He cleared waivers too.  If we are right by signing him, 30 other teams were wrong for letting him slip by (and the Jests for cutting him).

Everyone wants to find a Picasso at the yard sale.

This is a very talented athlete.  The Jets have not developed offensive players since Ryan took over.  Don’t be surprised if this guy makes the roster and contributes.  This is what the Panthers have been really good at recently.  They will sign him for nothing, develop him and get production.  This is our Ginn for 2014.  

Archived