• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Caplan: Stephen Hill trying out for Panthers today

Jeremy Igo

Just by looking at those highlights in the OP, he doesn't impress me at all.  He's suppose to be so fast, and yet all of those highlights just show him being a possession receiver with no real moves after the catch.  Some of you are acting like this guy is Randy Moss or something.  I don't see why yall are interested in him other than his combine performance.

Just by look at those highlights in the OP, he doesn't impress me at all. He's suppose to be so fast, and yet all of those highlights just show him being a possession receiver with no real moves after the catch. Some of you are acting like this guy is Randy Moss or something. I don't see why yall are interested in him other than his combine performance.

Ricky

Hey all, Jet fan coming in peace. I've been on this board for a while now since Steve Smith and Killa Cam were always a couple of my favorite players which made the Panthers a sort of second team for me.

I can tell you some things about Hill being that I've watched every game he's played on the Jets and followed him closely each training camp. He was a second rounder, so we expected a lot from him. He has that prototypical size and speed, which seems to promise success. However, his fundamentals and hands are absolutely terrible. You can blame the coaching and QBs, but there comes a time where you have to start pointing fingers. There were plenty of times where we targeted him and he just could not grab the ball. He is not physical, and he tries to trap the ball with his body. Never goes for it with his hands. One play comes to mind was last year when the Jets were playing our division rivals the Patriots. There was a play late in the game where we just had to get a first down and we would have likely ran out the clock and won. Hill was wide open and he dropped it. It was a good throw right at him too. Thats the kind of production you'll get out of him.

Up until this season I still had faith in him. I want to see him succeed because I don't want his size and speed to go to waste. The potential to be a monster is there. Hopefully you guys sign him and maybe get the best out of him. That would be awesome considering I always rooted for Hill as well as the Panthers.

Most of what you described sounds fixable via coaching.

Ricky can help receivers improve.  I don't think he can turn them into superstars.

i'm not really looking at it as a superstar in the making signing.

he has speed and size, lacks football knowledge. players tend to treat ricky with respect automatically cause he's been through everything they are going through.

i said in the other thread this would be a project signing.

hard to have a track record when he's only one full year in.

that said he made something out of ginn. from what i've read proehl has already achieved league wide respect.

Exactly why It's too early to assume he is some sort of guru.

hard to have a track record when he's only one full year in.

that said he made something out of ginn. from what i've read proehl has already achieved league wide respect.

I respect Proehl immensely, and I have no doubts in his abilities, but not every WR with a fading career is going to turn into Ginn here.

Archived