• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking Down the Offensive Line

Jeremy Igo

Warning: This roster is still fluid and may change by the season opener.

Overall Stats

Offensive Line Members - 10

Average Age - 25.3

Average Weight - 314

Average Years in League - 3.1

David Gettleman's group of "Hog Mollies" are as young as they are large.

Starting Tackles

Byron Bell - Undrafted Free Agent in his 4th season out of New Mexico. Struggles at times with speed rushers. Does well against the bull rush. Not as bad as his reputation, but still a below average NFL tackle.

Nate Chandler - Undrafted Free Agent (as a defensive tackle) in his 3rd season out of UCLA. First year as a full time offensive tackle in his pro career. A big unknown this season.

Backup Tackles

Garry Williams - The second most seasoned veteran on the squad at 6 NFL seasons. Can play tackle or guard. Was the starting right guard in camp last season until injury. A serviceable backup.

David Foucault - An Undrafted Free Agent from Canada. Considering he didn't have the footwork of even a college tackle in OTA's, a shock that he made the final 53. But, at 6'8 and 305, he has the size that can't be taught. Then again, so did former Panthers tackle Matt "Turnstyle" Willig (6'8, 315).

Starting Center

Ryan Kalil - The senior member of the offensive line at 8 seasons. Reliable, steadfast, the best player on the line.

Backup Center

Brian Folkerts - Second year man out of Washburn. Does an adequate job as a backup aside from the occasional bad snap.

Starting Guards

Trai Turner - Third round rookie out of LSU. I have been singing his praises since OTA's and projected him a started since day 1. By the end of the year he will look like a seasoned veteran.

Amini Silatolu - Second round guard in his 3rd season. Injured early last season. Looks to make a strong comeback.

Backup Guards

Andrew Norwell - Undrafted rookie out of Ohio State. Caught my attention when he pancaked Kony Ealy early in camp. Ever since I was on the Norwell bandwagon. Should have been a 5th - 6th round draft selection. Is a real football player. Has college experience at tackle and guard.

Fernando Velasco - 5th year veteran out of Georgia. Started 11 games for the Steelers in 2013. Started 16 games for the Titans in 2012. Excellent experience to have in a backup guard.

Outlook

Look for this group to struggle early as they continue to gel as a unit and gain experience. Three of the five positions are filled with first year players at that position in the NFL (Bell, Turner, Chandler). The size and athleticism is there to be much improved by mid season. Ryan Kalil provides excellent leadership to the group, filling the void left by Jordan Gross.

I do not believe this roster is complete. I still feel a player or two will be added in the coming day/weeks.

Warning: This roster is still fluid and may change by the season opener.

Overall Stats

Offensive Line Members - 10

Average Age - 25.3

Average Weight - 314

Average Years in League - 3.1

David Gettleman's group of "Hog Mollies" are as young as they are large.

Starting Tackles

Byron Bell - Undrafted Free Agent in his 4th season out of New Mexico. Struggles at times with speed rushers. Does well against the bull rush. Not as bad as his reputation, but still a below average NFL tackle.

Nate Chandler - Undrafted Free Agent (as a defensive tackle) in his 3rd season out of UCLA. First year as a full time offensive tackle in his pro career. A big unknown this season.

Backup Tackles

Garry Williams - The second most seasoned veteran on the squad at 6 NFL seasons. Can play tackle or guard. Was the starting right guard in camp last season until injury. A serviceable backup.

David Foucault - An Undrafted Free Agent from Canada. Considering he didn't have the footwork of even a college tackle in OTA's, a shock that he made the final 53. But, at 6'8 and 305, he has the size that can't be taught. Then again, so did former Panthers tackle Matt "Turnstyle" Willig (6'8, 315).

Starting Center

Ryan Kalil - The senior member of the offensive line at 8 seasons. Reliable, steadfast, the best player on the line.

Backup Center

Brian Folkerts - Second year man out of Washburn. Does an adequate job as a backup aside from the occasional bad snap.

Starting Guards

Trai Turner - Third round rookie out of LSU. I have been singing his praises since OTA's and projected him a started since day 1. By the end of the year he will look like a seasoned veteran.

Amini Silatolu - Second round guard in his 3rd season. Injured early last season. Looks to make a strong comeback.

Backup Guards

Andrew Norwell - Undrafted rookie out of Ohio State. Caught my attention when he pancaked Kony Ealy early in camp. Ever since I was on the Norwell bandwagon. Should have been a 5th - 6th round draft selection. Is a real football player. Has college experience at tackle and guard.

Fernando Velasco - 5th year veteran out of Georgia. Started 11 games for the Steelers in 2013. Started 16 games for the Titans in 2012. Excellent experience to have in a backup guard.

Outlook

Look for this group to struggle early as they continue to gel as a unit and gain experience. Three of the five positions are filled with first year players at that position in the NFL (Bell, Turner, Chandler). The size and athleticism is there to be much improved by mid season. Ryan Kalil provides excellent leadership to the group, filling the void left by Jordan Gross.

I do not believe this roster is complete. I still feel a player or two will be added in the coming day/weeks.

BUT--and you conveniently fail to mention--Matt "Turnstyle" Willig is the #1 thug in many movies and popular commercials.  Maybe Bell has similar aspirations.

I agree that Bell is a below average T, and would be a great reserve.  When I look at the draft, and how the top 5 tackles are doing in the NFL, I am glad we took Benjamin. 

Foucault is a project but he is pretty athletic and will be good one day.  The fact that they didn't cut him for the PS suggests that they feel he would have been scooped up by another team.  When I watched him he looked pretty good.  Needs some lower body strength and to play lower, but his hands and positioning were good.  I see him as a potential starter in 2015. 

There is not a more important reserve on this team than Gary Williams. 

Archived