• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

whats with all the 3 year old threads popping up?

mrka1979

POSTED 8:49 p.m. EST, February 23, 2006

ALEXANDER WANTS MONSTER DEAL

The early scuttlebutt coming out of Indy is that running back Shaun Alexander is looking for a contract with $22 million in guaranteed money and a total value of $80 million.

Sorry, Shaun, but it aint' gonna happen.

It would be the biggest running back contract in league history, eclipsing the contract signed in 2005 by Chargers tailback LaDainian Tomlinson. L.T. received $20 million in guaranteed money as part of an eight-year, $60 million package.

The problem is that the market for free agent running backs -- especially those on the wrong side of age 25 -- doesn't support that kind of investment, even for a guy who was the league MVP and who broke the single-season touchdown record.

More than ever, running backs are regarded as fungible. Only a guy with truly rare skills, like a Barry Sanders or a Jim Brown-type talent, would be able to get the kind of deal that Alexander supposedly wants.

The Carolina Panthers might have caught wind of Alexander's financial expectations, since they unexpectedly applied the transition tag to running back DeShaun Foster on Thursday. Because the Panthers generally are expected to make a run at Alexander, having the right of first refusal as to Foster will give the Panthers some protection in the event that Alexander's price tag doesn't get a lot more reasonable.

And contrary to the wire report posted at NFL.com, Foster isn't automatically "guaranteed" $5.13 million for 2006. For transition players, the one-year tender only becomes guaranteed at the start of the regular season; until then, the team can remove the transition tag at any time, and instantly free up the cap room. Thus, if the Panthers are at some point close to striking a deal with Alexander, all they need to do is revoke the tag as to Foster, and they'll have an extra $5.13 million in 2006 cap dollars to work with.

Under the franchise and transition rules, the money only becomes guaranteed for franchise players who sign the tender. Also, and as the Chargers recently realized, a transition tender becomes guaranteed if (and only if) the transition tag is used on a guy who accepted the franchise tender in the prior season.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

i dont beleive we have any intentions to try and get alexander. If we do make that move then I will be the one freakin out especially if it is anywhere close to the #'s that Alexander is wanting.

Me Hurney (if we make a move on Alexander)

:rock:

Another thing is... Alexander might want to leave Seahawks and he doing this on purpose...

Ken Lucas and Alexanders were best friends in Seattle and after Alexander met Panthers coaches, he felt in love with Fox and Co...

I'd be the first tosay that contract is way too big.

He is good but could he do it with half the o-line he has in seattle.----NO

Anywhere else in the NFL shaun probably would get 1200yrds 13Td.

Edgerin James sounds really good after that 80 MIL contract.

Another thing is... Alexander might want to leave Seahawks and he doing this on purpose...

Ken Lucas and Alexanders were best friends in Seattle and after Alexander met Panthers coaches, he felt in love with Fox and Co...

Don't let that talk fool you. He doesn't want to come play with friends, he wants money. I'm not making any judgements that's just the way it is.

I would much rather have us go after a mid-range price rb.

Archived