• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official "Whats the main problem with the passing game" poll

Jeremy Igo

Whats the main problem with the passing game  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the main problem with the passing game

• Offensive Line not protecting adequately
    • Plays take too long to develop
    • Cam is not getting rid of the ball fast enough
    • Recievers not getting open
    • Overall lack of chemistry between Cam and his new recievers

I don't think that there's any question that it's all of the above.  

We have too many slot receivers, and not enough speed.  We correctly let Brandon LaFell bounce, only to sign two of them, when unbeknownst to us we already had a guy who could possibly fill all four of those shoes in Brenton Bersin.  

We really need to pick up or trade for a real WR2 (like Denarius Moore), or at least let King loose if we want to salvage our passing game.

That's my take, and I am sticking to it. 

It's preseason.

I can't believe people are even discussing playcalling in the preseason. Nor has Cam performed any differently this year than years past. He never looks good in the preseason.

Everyone thought we were ready for our Super Bowl run after KC. Now I see talk about how we are going to have a really high draft pick next year. I guess the Huddle has to Huddle, but...

Cam always sucks in the preseason.....and this is his best preseason as a passer. Hakuna Matata

I don't think Cam is playing like its a real game, more like experimenting.

I also don't think we have used all of our plays which would be a good reason why our play calling sucks in the preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I'm still not sure why people keep referencing play calling in the preseason.  What do we run four, maybe five plays total during the preseason, with a few different looks for each play?    Preseason play calling is nothing, and is not indicative of what the regular season will look like in any way.  Same goes for defense.  It's all super vanilla, and there just for reps.

According to Pro Football Focus,Cam had an average of 3.45 seconds to throw, the second-most time of all quarterbacks who have taken at least 20 dropbacks this preseason(credit to Bill Voth for this info: http://blackandbluereview.com/cam-newton-fewer-hits/).  Yeah, they've given up some sacks, but this shows they're holding blocks quite well.  We can't expect them to hold 300+ lb linemen back for too much longer.

I'm still not sure why people keep referencing play calling in the preseason. What do we run four, maybe five plays total during the preseason, with a few different looks for each play? Preseason play calling is nothing, and is not indicative of what the regular season will look like in any way. Same goes for defense. It's all super vanilla, and there just for reps.

According to Pro Football Focus,Cam had an average of 3.45 seconds to throw, the second-most time of all quarterbacks who have taken at least 20 dropbacks this preseason(credit to Bill Voth for this info: http://blackandbluereview.com/cam-newton-fewer-hits/). Yeah, they've given up some sacks, but this shows they're holding blocks quite well. We can't expect them to hold 300+ lb linemen back for too much longer.

There's no room for facts around here...

Interested in what the Huddle consensus is.

You can mark more than one as the correct answer if you believe it is a combination of things.

One of the choices should be that we are running a kindergarten playbook this preseason. Of course I would like to see better production. But I feel every play we've run is designed to put our guys in a pressure cooker. I might would feel bad about what I've seen? But there are no plays to Cotchery. No 2 TE sets. And the fact that Cam is not using his feet to make plays. Makes me feel like we are taking the preseason serious. Just not putting emphasis on winning games that don't matter.

The before mentioned reasons play a part in it all. Everything is so new, that there has to be time to gel. But I do not feel that we are as far behind as these games have lead most to believe?

Can we enter an option that we are a ball control/run first offense that decided to pass like crazy?

Buffalo: Passed 64% - Loss

Kansas City: Passed 38% - Win

New England: Passed 53% - Loss

Question:  How do we develop chemistry, timing, etc. between Cam and his new receivers.

Answer:  Pass like crazy...

Preseason is glorified practice.  It does not represent what we will do in the regular season.  Cam needs live, full speed, under pressure reps with his receivers.  To do that, you have to pass a lot, and preseason(the games that don't matter) is the prefect time to do it.

Same thing that always has our fans panicking every preseason

Cam has never looked great during Preseason. Dunno why, but his completion % always seems to hover around 50%. I'm not worried about his passing attack. The ground game is what worries me.

Preseason

2011 - 24 of 57 (42%), 300yds, 1 TD, 0 INT

2012 - 16 of 32 (50%) , 196yds, 2 TD, 0 INT

2013 - 21 of 42 (50%) , 227yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

2014 - 12 of 21 (57%), 153yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

The main problem with the passing game is that people are seriously trying to argue Bersin being the #2. I'm not saying he's not the second best WR on the team. I'm saying if he is, then we are in trouble. Trouble

How does that make us in trouble?

Archived