• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time for Cam to learn to slide.

Jeremy Igo

We are arguing over the best way for him to protect himself, not whether he should

going to the ground in any way other than sliding leaves him fair game for a defensive player. That equals not protecting himself. There is no other way of looking at it. Rules are rules.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

When we drafted Cam....I endorsed it only if we let Cam be Cam. That means he likely wouldn't be our QB for 15 years like a Tom Brady.

I don't endorse him sliding. For several reasons. Some of those reasons do go against his overall long term health. Maybe Zod invisions having Newton around longer than I do.....and sliding and getting opponents use to that being part of his game is part of it. Selfishly, as a pure fan of the game (his game), I enjoy the one man wrecking crew play style of Cam. But I have always believe Newton will have a smaller window to do big things than traditional elite QBs

thats pretty fuged up...

but seriously,

i tend to agree with Teeray, at this stage in his career sliding is not going to protect him. I want him to be in control of his body. Sliding isn't going to allow for that. Cam is a force at this stage in his career. This injury is a fluke at this point in time.

I disagree about his window. I think he has a window where he can be fully Cam and then that window will close (id say in 4 to 5 years max) and he will have to be more of a pocket passer. I do not want a steve mcnair here (to old to be doing the things he was doing). I think Cam is going to have the gusto to get it done in the pocket when his athleticism diminishes.

while i agree with you boys that we need a better line, i think you need to come off it in this thread. Cam wasnt hurt because his wasnt protecting him. he was hurt because his competitive instinct took over and he scrambled and gambled. he just happened to lose the gamble this time. Cam's injury was not the OLs fault. 

that being said, there is even more pressure on the line now to keep that man safe. he goes down, and so does our season. it surprises me that Rivera wants to play Cam in week 1, but that also encourages me. if it were something that could linger, i dont think Rivera would be risking our season for one game. idk... maybe im wrong

It's not about blaming the OL. It's about putting your franchise QB in the best possible situation for him to succeed.

We are entering the season desperately hoping that a few people not only on the OL will step up big, but at WR as well.

thats pretty fuged up...

but seriously,

i tend to agree with Teeray, at this stage in his career sliding is not going to protect him. I want him to be in control of his body. Sliding isn't going to allow for that. Cam is a force at this stage in his career. This injury is a fluke at this point in time.

I disagree about his window. I think he has a window where he can be fully Cam and then that window will close (id say in 4 to 5 years max) and he will have to be more of a pocket passer. I do not want a steve mcnair here (to old to be doing the things he was doing). I think Cam is going to have the gusto to get it done in the pocket when his athleticism diminishes.

It's not so much rugged up as it is realistic....Newton is a beast. If you embrace him being what he has always been......he likely won't have as long of a career as a pocket QB. Just life in the NFL .

No QB in NFL history has taken the hits he has to start off a career.

I think Cam's play style is in his DNA. Same reason Rivera can't get him to slide is the same reason he will be like McNair in your example

First time Cam gets injured from scrambling even in college and he needs to learn to slide?? Yeah no. If he had gone down 2 secs earlier he'd be fine. That's what he should do better. Go down at the right time and don't fight for the extra yard, especially after getting 1st down.

At his size, sliding won't be easy and it will take time for him to do it properly, if he ever does. So while he's learning he's opening himself up to serious injury by sliding feet 1st. Nothing stops a defender from taking a shot at him. We've seen that before with him and others.

I understand why a lot of people want the quarterbacks sliding feet first but at the same time it is not always practical.  A football player, while scrambling around a field, gets their body into positions that don't always lend themselves to feet first slides.  In a lot of cases the fastest way to get to the ground is by falling forward. 

If anything the decision making process of when to get down probably has more of an influence on injuries then the type of slide.

I understand why a lot of people want the quarterbacks sliding feet first but at the same time it is not always practical.  A football player, while scrambling around a field, gets their body into positions that don't always lend themselves to feet first slides.  In a lot of cases the fastest way to get to the ground is by falling forward. 

If anything the decision making process of when to get down probably has more of an influence on injuries then the type of slide.

I agree. Cam should have some freedom in deciding when to slide, if the outcome is worth a defender 100% for sure coming in contact with him then fine.

But if it is a routine run and not much can be gained by going head first, why give the defense permission to fall on him.

It's not so much rugged up as it is realistic....Newton is a beast. If you embrace him being what he has always been......he likely won't have as long of a career as a pocket QB. Just life in the NFL .

No QB in NFL history has taken the hits he has to start off a career.

I think Cam's play style is in his DNA. Same reason Rivera can't get him to slide is the same reason he will be like McNair in your example

my hope is that as his athleticism diminishes he starts "getting" the pocket more and more.

it's possible. And yes i know his play style just makes him who he is. And i hope cam realizes this as mcnair was one of his idols (went to his camp as a kid).

my hope is that as his athleticism diminishes he starts "getting" the pocket more and more.

it's possible. And yes i know his play style just makes him who he is. And i hope cam realizes this as mcnair was one of his idols (went to his camp as a kid).

Same deal in the NBA, like Dwade shooting more jumpers now instead of attacking the rim.  I've thought/hoped about this before.

Whole idea of Cam being 'old' and a pure pocket passer makes me lol though 

Archived