• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time for Cam to learn to slide.

Jeremy Igo

uh no i didn't. you were condescending from the start i.e. james dator

"oh we don't get it" "it's simple, really" bs. you've got some pretty knowledgeable football fans like CRA and Teeray thinking otherwise. and yet, we just don't get it? come on man.

his health today is an anomaly and not historical. that is a fact.

Sorry, I was thinking of this cheap shot on me....

If you want to get snippy, don't cry when you get it in return.

All I am saying is that I don't want the franchise QB leaving his head exposed, or getting his toe stuck in the grass and ruining his knee.

It is football, people are going to have wear and tear. I want him to protect his head and knees/ankles

Agreed.. This rib injury is a fluke injury where the knee of a defender penetrated Newton's padding. I would take those chances all day instead of leaving his head exposed on a bang bang play that may draw a personal foul on the defense but leave our star QB concussed...

For reference:

388a3-mitchell1.gif?w=1000

Wow I never thought I would see people arguing AGAINST our stat qb protecting his body so he can actually play a long career. But ...here we are. SMH.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

We are arguing over the best way for him to protect himself, not whether he should

uh no i didn't. you were condescending from the start i.e. james dator

"oh we don't get it" "it's simple, really" bs. you've got some pretty knowledgeable football fans like CRA and Teeray thinking otherwise. and yet, we just don't get it? come on man.

his health today is an anomaly and not historical. that is a fact.

When we drafted Cam....I endorsed it only if we let Cam be Cam. That means he likely wouldn't be our QB for 15 years like a Tom Brady.

I don't endorse him sliding. For several reasons. Some of those reasons do go against his overall long term health. Maybe Zod invisions having Newton around longer than I do.....and sliding and getting opponents use to that being part of his game is part of it. Selfishly, as a pure fan of the game (his game), I enjoy the one man wrecking crew play style of Cam. But I have always believed Newton will have a smaller window to do big things than traditional elite QBs....bc his body eventually will give out as he ages

There is a bigger picture here, and that is doing all that we can to protect our franchise QB

Cam needs a offensive line that is not awful

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

while i agree with you boys that we need a better line, i think you need to come off it in this thread. Cam wasnt hurt because his wasnt protecting him. he was hurt because his competitive instinct took over and he scrambled and gambled. he just happened to lose the gamble this time. Cam's injury was not the OLs fault. 

that being said, there is even more pressure on the line now to keep that man safe. he goes down, and so does our season. it surprises me that Rivera wants to play Cam in week 1, but that also encourages me. if it were something that could linger, i dont think Rivera would be risking our season for one game. idk... maybe im wrong

Agreed.. This rib injury is a fluke injury where the knee of a defender penetrated Newton's padding. I would take those chances all day instead of leaving his head exposed on a bang bang play that may draw a personal foul on the defense but leave our star QB concussed...

For reference:

388a3-mitchell1.gif?w=1000

This argument can be twisted both ways from tons of examples, but I get your point.  It would create a lot of opportunities for late hits, but if that's your stance you cannot say he is not exposed by staying up right in the open field.  When he tucks and rolls he drops his head, also could end badly. 

Ultimately everyone here just wants him to be healthy.  And I think we can agree (I hope) that going forward, Cam needs to careful and conscious when in the open field.  Granted he's big, but he's not invincible, and sometimes I get the feeling he thinks he is.  

Archived