• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time for Cam to learn to slide.

Jeremy Igo

I actually think Cam does a pretty good job of protecting himself already. Unless it's down in the redzone he typically gets down before taking any sort of punishing hit.

On this certain play it almost seemed like Cam was caught inbetween wanting to run and not. He would've made that 1 Pat miss if it were a regular season game. But it's almost like he remembered it was preseason and by the time he decided to go down it was too late.

Honestly, I have no idea why it's such a challenge for these talented athletes to learn to slide...

Rivera claims Newton won't slide bc of where the ball gets marked.....and he can't get him to think otherwise

You should inform the rest of the entire nfl of your theory. They all believe differently.

Sent from Carolina Huddle App for Android.

True story, after 100+ years to the contrary many baseball coaches are now telling baseball players that head first slides are better than feet first.  According to studies, less chance of catastrophic injury.

For 100 years they thought the exact opposite

I agree with RumGone, I think it was a fluke.

Cam is entering his fourth season and has done a pretty damn good job so far of protecting himself considering the circumstances.

It isn't his fault that he routinely has to be our whole running game.

True story, after 100+ years to the contrary many coaches are now telling baseball players that head first slides are better than feet first.  According to studies. less chance of catastrophic injury.

Is there a rule that defenders are allowed to jump on the slider if they go head first?

Listen, I am talking about wear and tear here and his rib. If he keeps taking hits, it will get worse as the season goes on. I promise you.

Sliding is better. I said this in a different thread already. 

QBs rarely use the slide as intended. It was designed to give them a chance to surrender themselves from contact. On the play in question Cam gained 8 yards. If he had slid 2 yards past the line of scrimmage the chances of him taking a hit are very small and would result in a 15 yard penalty.  If he had slid 6 yards past the line of scrimmage the chances of him taking a hit go up greatly. If he waits until the last possible second (what most QBs do) chances are he will get clocked and earn a flag.

I would have also been fine with him running out of bounds or grounding the ball. He was out of the pocket when he made the decision to run for it.

How is his health today.

And you started taking shots at me immediately, don't cry when I return them, sally. :)

uh no i didn't. you were condescending from the start i.e. james dator

"oh we don't get it" "it's simple, really" bs. you've got some pretty knowledgeable football fans like CRA and Teeray thinking otherwise. and yet, we just don't get it? come on man.

his health today is an anomaly and not historical. that is a fact.

Is there a rule that defenders are allowed to jump on the slider if they go head first?

Listen, I am talking about wear and tear here and his rib. If he keeps taking hits, it will get worse as the season goes on. I promise you.

All I am saying is that I don't want the franchise QB leaving his head exposed, or getting his toe stuck in the grass and ruining his knee.

It is football, people are going to have wear and tear.  I want him to protect his head and knees/ankles

Archived